What are the force and kinematics problems I need help with?

• Thread starter SkiingAlta
  • Start date
In summary, Struggling a little bit with a force test I have tomorrow. I've tried a few problems, and don't even know where to begin on another. I have the answers, and I would like to see if they are correct. Thank you so much!
SkiingAlta
Hey everyone. Struggling a little bit with a force test I have tomorrow. I've tried a few problems, and don't even know where to begin on another. I have the answers, and I would like to see if they are correct. Thank you so much!

1. An object of mass 70 kg is accelerated by a net force of 20 N. What is its acceleration?

My answer is .286 N

2. A speedboat has a mass of 5.0 x 103 kg. It starts from rest and travels 2.0 x 102 m in 6.0 seconds. The boat undergoes uniform acceleration during the 6.0 seconds. What is the net force on the boat?

My answer is 55,550 N

3. A 75 kg girl traveling at a constant velocity on ice skates suddenly experiences an acceleration of -4 m/s2. What is the sum of the forces acting on her?

My answer is (HAH!). I don't even know where to begin. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. An object of mass 70 kg is accelerated by a net force of 20 N. What is its acceleration?

My answer is .286 N
This looks correct.

2. A speedboat has a mass of 5.0 x 103 kg. It starts from rest and travels 2.0 x 102 m in 6.0 seconds. The boat undergoes uniform acceleration during the 6.0 seconds. What is the net force on the boat?

My answer is 55,550 N

I don't think this is correct. Calculate the acceleration then use with Newton's second law (F = ma) to solve for the net force.

HINT: Vf = Vi + at

3. A 75 kg girl traveling at a constant velocity on ice skates suddenly experiences an acceleration of -4 m/s2. What is the sum of the forces acting on her?

My answer is (HAH!). I don't even know where to begin. Any tips?

Hmmm... Sum of the forces acting on her... I think you've got to use Newtons 2nd law. ;)

So for #2 if I were to do:

Vf=Vi+at
200=0+a6
200=6a
a=33.33333

Then: F=ma
F=5000(33.333)
F= 166,667 NRight?

So for #2 if I were to do:

Vf=Vi+at
200=0+a6
200=6a
a=33.33333

Then: F=ma
F=5000(33.333)
F= 166,667 N

Right?

Looks okay to me! Now try number 3!

And for the latter,

F=ma
F=75(-4)
sumF= -300

Yay?

F=ma
F=75(-4)
sumF= -300

Yay?

Correct! You don't need to write sumF =, because when you write F = ma you're already implying that:

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help! One last one possibly?

A brick has a mass of 1.2 kg. A force of 5.4 N just begins to move the brick along the floor with a constant velocity. What is the coefficient of static friction?

So I would use f=μn

5.4=μ*11.76

μ=0.46

Would that be right? Thanks so much for your help!

A brick has a mass of 1.2 kg. A force of 5.4 N just begins to move the brick along the floor with a constant velocity. What is the coefficient of static friction?

So I would use f=μn

5.4=μ*11.76

μ=0.46

Would that be right? Thanks so much for your help!

Correct! Another key observation I want to bring to your attention is that when you have an object moving at constant velocity then,

[tex]\sum F = 0[/tex]

Why's that you ask? Well remember, with constant velocity acceleration is simply 0. Applying Newtons second law,

[tex]\sum F = ma = m(0) = 0[/tex]

Oh. That makes sense! Thanks so much for your help!

What is the difference between force and kinematics?

Force refers to the push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate, while kinematics is the study of motion and how it changes over time. In simpler terms, force causes objects to move, while kinematics describes how they move.

What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, as described by Sir Isaac Newton, are: 1) an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, 2) the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. Force is measured in units of Newtons (N).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity is speed with a direction, while speed does not have a specific direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be described as an object's change in speed, direction, or both. Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).