Solving Force & Mass Problem on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem is asking for the magnitude of the force exerted on the 3.0kg block by the 1.8kg block on a frictionless inclined plane. There is a misconception in the problem as force vectors should originate from the object they are being applied to. It is assumed that the 29N force is being applied to the 1.8kg block only. By exploiting the fact that all blocks have the same acceleration, the net force on the 3.0kg block can be found by subtracting the force of gravity acting on it. This will result in the force of the 1.8kg block on the 3.0kg block.
b-pipe

Homework Statement

Diagram.png

The surface of an inclined plane shown below is frictionless. if F= 29N, what is the magnitude of the force exrted on the 3.0-kg by the 1.8kg block?

Homework Equations

I suppose F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm utterly confused here. The equation I have for force doesn't factor in angles, there may be a variation of the force equation that I do not know of. I don't have the acceleration of block 3.0kg needed to find the force using the information given. I'm assuming it'd be acceleration due to gravity at an angle perpendicular to the inclined plane but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that problem from?

There is a misconception in it I think... if I try and figure out what it is supposed to be, there is like 5 different possibilities.

The problem is that force vectors are supposed to be drawn like this:
http://dev.physicslab.org/img/cade9de5-204f-483b-aece-44f2b017eda3.gif

see how all of the force vectors originate AT the object the force is applied to and move out? You don't just have naked force vectors like the one in your diagram.

I don't know if it's the net force or an external, and in both cases we still don't know if the force is applied to the 4.8kg block system, or the 1.8kg block.I am guessing that the most likely case is that it is an external force being applied to the 1.8kg block only. which should instead be drawn such that the beginning of the vector is in the center of the 1.8kg block.

Then you will have the 29N force on the 1.8kg block along with the component of the gravitational force on the 1.8kg block plus the force of the 3kg block pushing it down.

Then just exploit the fact that all blocks will have the same acceleration (the 3kg block, the 1.8kg block, and the 4.8kg block system) to find the net force on the 3kg block. but that includes gravity, so subtract the force of gravity that was acting on it and what you are left with is the force of the 1.8kg block acting on the 3kg block.

Related to Solving Force & Mass Problem on an Inclined Plane

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped, rather than being horizontal. It is often used to make it easier to move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed.

2. How do you calculate the force and mass on an inclined plane?

The force and mass on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration on an inclined plane?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration on an inclined plane is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. How does friction affect the force and mass on an inclined plane?

Friction can have a significant impact on the force and mass on an inclined plane. Friction opposes motion and can make it more difficult to move an object up or down the incline. To account for friction, the formula F = mgsinθ + μmgcosθ can be used, where μ is the coefficient of friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving force and mass problems on an inclined plane?

Solving force and mass problems on an inclined plane has various real-world applications, such as calculating the force needed to push a heavy object up a ramp, determining the optimal angle for a ramp in a wheelchair accessible ramp, and understanding the mechanics of moving objects on a sloped surface. It is also used in engineering and construction to design structures that can resist the forces and mass of gravity on inclined surfaces.