What is the force applied by water on a falling sandbag?

In summary, the problem involves a hot-air balloon pilot dropping a 2.50 kg sandbag from an altitude of 315 m above a lake. The sandbag comes to a stop 4.50 m below the surface of the lake. To find the force applied by the water on the sandbag, one can use the formula f=ma or consider conservation of energy and work done on the object.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

At an altitude of 315 m above a lake, a hot-air balloon pilot drops a 2.50 kg sandbag. If the bag comes to a stop 4.50 m below the surface of the lake, what force was applied by the water on it?

Homework Equations

f=ma, d=df-di

The Attempt at a Solution

im kinda completely lost about what to do for this question, so i tried just multiplying the mass by gravity. i could also try finding displacement , but i don't know what to do after if i did that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Here's a hint: what is impulse?

uh to act suddenly?

Very funny...
Now, what makes a bigger splash? A rock dropped from 1 meter, or from 1 km? Gravity is a constant, right? So then, what could account for the force. I've given you some hints, time for you to do a bit of reading :)

If you hold something up at some height in the air. It has a certain type of energy. If you drop it, it turns into another type of energy which is only due to its motion. Work is being done on the sandbag by the water. Do you know an expression for work done on an object? Can you form a relation between the first type of energy and the work done on the object? (Think conservation of energy)

rock.freak667 said:
If you hold something up at some height in the air. It has a certain type of energy. If you drop it, it turns into another type of energy which is only due to its motion. Work is being done on the sandbag by the water. Do you know an expression for work done on an object? Can you form a relation between the first type of energy and the work done on the object? (Think conservation of energy)

Yes, you can do it using conservation of energy as well. I personally think doing it the impulse way is easier :)

astropi said:
Yes, you can do it using conservation of energy as well. I personally think doing it the impulse way is easier :)

The problem statement tells us the distances, rather than the times, it takes the mass to fall and then come to a stop. That suggests that energy & work is a better way (i.e. more direct and easier) to solve this than using impulses.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called newtons (N). One newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared (m/s²).

3. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object. It is the distance and direction from the initial position to the final position.

4. How does force affect displacement?

Force can cause displacement by changing the position or motion of an object. The greater the force, the greater the displacement will be.

5. What is the relationship between force and displacement?

The relationship between force and displacement is described by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration and displacement will be.