Calculating Rotational Force for a 5000kg Suspended Load

In summary, this conversation is about how a suspended load will rotate if there is no resistance. The OP tells us that it would need to be falling or floating in space in order to get it to rotate with almost 0 force, but floating in water would be "close" to 0 friction.
rahim
can someone help me?..

i have 5000kg suspended load..how do i calculate the force needed to rotate this load 90 deg. assuming perfect bearing?..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Any amount of force. Once it starts rotating it will not stop assuming perfect bearing. I wish I had a perfect bearing.

LostConjugate said:
I wish I had a perfect bearing.
Go to deportment classes then. lol

im just saying friction is neglected..thanks

I was recently at a museum in Virginia that had a large stone globe in front of the building, I would estimate that it was 2 1/2 meters in diameter. The surface was very smooth and it was supported on a circular base. Water was forced up through the base which raised the globe slightly so that is was in physical contact with only water and air. While this in not a perfect bearing, it was a very good one. I could rotate the globe in any direction I wanted with 1 finger. The limiting factor for how fast I could accelerate the globe was not the strength of my finger but the lack of friction between my finger and the smooth, wet stone. Really I was only using about 1/4 of the strength of 1 finger. I inquired about the mass of the globe and was told that it weighs about 29 tons.

Here's a link to the museums website...
http://www.smv.org/exhibits.html
One of the photo's is of the globe I am describing.

Last edited by a moderator:
rahim said:
im just saying friction is neglected..thanks

Any amount of force will eventually rotate it to 90 degrees. Similar to an object in space, the load will continue to move after any force is applied to it and then stopped. If you want to move it to 90 degrees in a specific timeframe, then that is different.

being an automotive technician, I would use an foot pounds torque wrench.

dyce said:
being an automotive technician, I would use an foot pounds torque wrench.

The OP is asking the question and telling us that there is no friction or anything, it is just a suspended load. ANY force will move it to 90 degrees as long as there is no resistance to the motion. In reality we would have to take friction and other effects into account.

Drakkith said:
The OP is asking the question and telling us that there is no friction or anything, it is just a suspended load. ANY force will move it to 90 degrees as long as there is no resistance to the motion. In reality we would have to take friction and other effects into account.

it would need to be falling or floating in space in order to get it to rotate with almost 0 force. but floating in water would be "close" to 0 friction. this is if it is a smooth object. so yea youre right. but to get it to rotate under strength of Earth's gravity pulling on it, there would always be resistance.

dyce said:
it would need to be falling or floating in space in order to get it to rotate with almost 0 force. but floating in water would be "close" to 0 friction. this is if it is a smooth object. so yea youre right. but to get it to rotate under strength of Earth's gravity pulling on it, there would always be resistance.

Which is why we were all talking about a situation with no resistance!:tongue2:

What is force needed to rotate 5000kg?

The force needed to rotate 5000kg depends on several factors such as the distance from the axis of rotation, the speed of rotation, and the presence of any external forces.

How is the force needed to rotate 5000kg calculated?

The force needed to rotate 5000kg can be calculated using the formula F = mrω^2, where F is the force, m is the mass, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity.

Can the force needed to rotate 5000kg be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to rotate 5000kg can be reduced by decreasing the distance from the axis of rotation or by increasing the speed of rotation. Additionally, using lubricants to reduce friction can also decrease the force needed.

What are some real-life examples of the force needed to rotate 5000kg?

Some examples of the force needed to rotate 5000kg include the torque needed to rotate a large gear or wheel, the force needed to rotate a heavy machinery part, or the force needed to rotate a large satellite in space.

How does the force needed to rotate 5000kg affect the stability of an object?

The force needed to rotate 5000kg can affect the stability of an object by causing it to rotate or tip over. If the force is too great, it can overcome the object's center of gravity and cause it to lose balance and fall.