Force on a Circular Loop Due to an Infinite Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach and solution for finding the magnetic force exerted by a straight wire on a circular wire loop. The use of a spherical coordinate system is initially considered, but it is determined that a Cartesian or cylindrical coordinate system may be more suitable. After further discussion, the final answer is determined to be ##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}R (1-\frac{D}{\sqrt{D^{2}-R^{2}}})\hat y##, indicating that the loop will be attracted to the wire with a force that always points downwards.
uselesslemma

Homework Statement

A long straight wire carrying a constant current I1 and a circular wire loop carrying a constant current I2 lie in a plane. The radius of the loop is R, and its center is located at distance D from the straight wire. What is the magnetic force exerted on the loop by the straight wire?
Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 13.37.25.png

Homework Equations

The currents are constant, so ##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=I \int(d\overrightarrow{l}\times\overrightarrow{B})##

For an infinite wire, ##\overrightarrow{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi s}\hat\phi##
(cylindrical coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up the coordinate system like this.
Snapshot.jpg

##I=I_{2}## and ##B=B_{1}##, since the magnetic force due to the line's field should be on the current loop.

I thought that the spherical coordinate system would be the easiest to use for this problem. In that case:

##\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}##
##z=0##
##s=y=R sin\phi## (by symmetry)
##dr=0## (R is constant for the loop)
##d\overrightarrow{l}=Rd\theta\hat\theta+Rd\phi\hat\phi##

Therefore, above the wire ##B_{1}## is in the ##\hat\phi##→##\hat z=-\hat\theta## direction. In addition, the origin is displaced by length D, so the equations become:

##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=I_{2}\int(d\overrightarrow{l}\times\overrightarrow{B}_{1})##

##\overrightarrow{B}_{1}=-\frac{\mu_{0}I_{1}}{2\pi(R sin\phi +D)}\hat\theta##

So the cross product says that ##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}## is only in the ##\hat r## direction.

##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=\frac{\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}R}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{R sin\phi +D}\hat r=\frac{\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}R}{\sqrt{D^{2}-R^{2}}}\hat r##

Is this the correct approach and result? I'm not sure if my replacement for s in the equation for ##\overrightarrow{B}_{1}## is valid, or if I set up the coordinate system in the appropriate way. I believe my answer has the correct dimensionality, I just want to verify the approach. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your ##\hat r## direction is not a constant of the integration, so I wouldn't take this as the answer: Which way would the ring move if not attached to anything ?

Likes uselesslemma
BvU said:
Your ##\hat r## direction is not a constant of the integration, so I wouldn't take this as the answer: Which way would the ring move if not attached to anything ?

Ah yes I see. So ##\hat r=cos\phi \hat x + sin\phi \hat y##, and it is therefore not exempt from integration.

##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=\frac{\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}R}{2\pi}(\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{cos\phi d\phi}{R sin\phi +D}\hat x + \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{sin\phi d\phi}{R sin\phi +D}\hat y)##

In this case the ##\hat x## term cancels during integration (as expected), and I'm left with

##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}=\mu_{0}I_{1}I_{2}R (1-\frac{D}{\sqrt{D^{2}-R^{2}}})\hat y##

And since D > R, ##\overrightarrow{F}_{m}## always points down. This makes sense, because the portion of the loop that is attractive is closer to the line than the portion that is repulsive, so the loop should be attracted overall. This makes more sense, thanks!

How did you integrate the y component to get to the final answer??

uselesslemma said:

Homework Statement

I thought that the spherical coordinate system would be the easiest to use for this problem.
I don't think so. EDIT: Cartesian is the only good choice.
Put your origin in the wire, loop center at (0,D).

EDIT AGAIN: nope, tried cartesian, was horrible. Did better with cylindrical with origin at center of loop. Still needed good tables or wolfram alpha!
Anybody else?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a circular loop due to an infinite wire?

The formula for calculating the force on a circular loop due to an infinite wire is given by F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * A) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wire and the loop respectively, A is the area of the loop, and r is the distance between the wire and the center of the loop.

2. How does the direction of the current in the wire affect the force on the circular loop?

The direction of the current in the wire affects the direction of the force on the circular loop. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if they are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive. This is because the direction of the magnetic field produced by the current in the wire determines the direction of the force on the loop.

3. What is the significance of the distance between the wire and the center of the loop in determining the force?

The distance between the wire and the center of the loop is a crucial factor in determining the force. As the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the distance between the wire and the center of the loop.

4. Can the force on the circular loop be negative?

Yes, the force on the circular loop can be negative. This happens when the currents in the wire and the loop are in opposite directions, resulting in a repulsive force. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the current in the wire.

5. How does the area of the circular loop affect the force?

The area of the circular loop also plays a role in determining the force. As the area increases, the force also increases. This is because a larger area means a greater number of magnetic field lines passing through the loop, resulting in a stronger force. Similarly, a smaller area will result in a weaker force.