Calculating Average Force on a Ball Hitting a Hard Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball weighing 10g hitting a hard surface with a speed of 5m/s and rebounding with the same speed. The ball remains in contact with the surface for 0.01 sec and the question asks for the average force exerted by the surface on the ball. Using the equation F= M(v2-v1)/t, the speaker subs in the values and converts g to kg, with an initial velocity of 5m/s and a final velocity of 0. The speaker initially gets an answer of 5 N, but realizes their mistake and corrects it to 10 N.
takando12

Homework Statement

A ball weighing 10g hit s ahard surface vertically with a speed of 5m/s and rebounds with the same speed.The ball remains in contact with the surface for 0.01 sec. The average force exerteed by the surface on the ball is :a) 100N b)10N c)1N d) 0.1N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

using F= M(v2-v1)/t. I subs the values and converted g to kg.I also took the initial velocity as 5m/s and final as zero, time =0.01 sec . But I am getting 5 N. Where is my understanding flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
rebounds with the same speed

takando12 said:
final as zero
Compare those two statements.

Likes takando12
oh...initial and final are same. 5-(-5)=10. Stupid me.Thank you sir.

1. What is the force on hitting the ground?

The force on hitting the ground, also known as impact force, is the amount of force generated when an object collides with the ground. This force is influenced by factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the surface area and elasticity of the ground.

2. How is the force on hitting the ground calculated?

The force on hitting the ground can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula can be modified to include other factors such as the object's velocity and the elasticity of the ground.

3. How does the force on hitting the ground affect the object?

The force on hitting the ground can cause the object to experience deformation, damage, or even break apart depending on the magnitude of the force. This force can also cause the object to bounce or bounce back, depending on the elasticity of the ground and the object's velocity.

4. Can the force on hitting the ground be reduced?

Yes, the force on hitting the ground can be reduced by increasing the surface area of the object in contact with the ground. This spreads out the force over a larger area, reducing the impact. Additionally, using materials with high elasticity can also help reduce the force on impact.

5. What safety precautions can be taken to minimize the force on hitting the ground?

To minimize the force on hitting the ground, safety precautions such as wearing protective gear, using landing mats, and proper training techniques can be utilized. Avoiding high drops or using shock-absorbing materials can also help reduce the impact force on landing.