What is the gravitational force on a satellite in orbit around Earth?

In summary, a communications satellite with a mass of 450 kg is in a circular orbit around the Earth with a radius of 2.9×104 km. Using the formula for weight, the weight of the satellite on the surface of the Earth is 4400 N. To calculate the gravitational force exerted on the satellite by the Earth, we use Newton's universal law of gravity, which can be written as F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}. After converting the radius from km to m, the gravitational force is found to be approximately 213067241.4 N. It is important to always double check units when using formulas.
ryty

Homework Statement

A communications satellite with a mass of 450 kg is in a circular orbit about the Earth. The radius of the orbit is 2.9×104 km as measured from the center of the Earth. A. Calculate the weight of the satellite on the surface of the Earth. B. Calculate the gravitational force exerted on the satellite by the Earth when it is in orbit.

Homework Equations

Weight=mass*gravity

3. The attempt at a solaution
I found A. 4400 N
I don't know how to try to find B.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the formula for gravitational force?

for B) use Newtons universal law of gravity.

namely:

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

G= Newtons gravity constant
M= mass of earth
m= mass of satellite
r= radius of orbit

note:(both Newtons constant & the mass of Earth can be found on the internet)

ideasrule said:
What's the formula for gravitational force?

sorry ideasrule, i gave it away :blushing:

i tried that but it was wrong
F=((6.67E-11)(5.97E24)(450))/(2.9E4)^2=213067241.4 this isn't right, what am i doing wrong
G=6.67E-11
mass od earth= 5.97E24

you must convert your radius from Km to m. Always double check your units...

(it cost NASA millions one time)

alright, i got it, thanks

What is the force on a satellite from earth?

The force on a satellite from earth is the gravitational force exerted by the earth on the satellite. This force is responsible for keeping the satellite in orbit around the earth.

How is the force on a satellite from earth calculated?

The force on a satellite from earth is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Does the force on a satellite from earth change as the satellite moves?

Yes, the force on a satellite from earth changes as the satellite moves because the distance between the satellite and the earth changes. As the satellite moves closer to or farther away from the earth, the force of gravity on the satellite will increase or decrease accordingly.

What factors affect the force on a satellite from earth?

The force on a satellite from earth is primarily affected by the mass of the earth and the mass of the satellite, as well as the distance between them. Other factors that can affect the force include the position and velocity of the satellite, as well as any external forces acting on the satellite.

Can the force on a satellite from earth be stronger than the force on the earth from the satellite?

No, the force on a satellite from earth is always equal and opposite to the force on the earth from the satellite, as stated by Newton's third law of motion. This means that the force on the satellite is never stronger than the force on the earth.