Force on the bottom of a swimming pool

In summary, the problem with my Webassign is that it is giving me incorrect answers for the total force and absolute pressure. I think I may have been doing something wrong with the numbers, and after figuring out what was wrong I was able to get the correct answers.
confusedbyphysics
I don't understand WHY my Webassign says I have this wrong. Here is the problem:

" What are the total force and the absolute pressure on the bottom of a swimming pool 2.6 m by 1.6 m whose uniform depth is 2.0 m?"

My book says the force = density X Area X depth below the surface X g

so f = (1X10^3) X (2.6 X 1.6) X (2) X (9.8) = 81536...with 3 sig figs 81500. Tried entering both 81500 N and -81500 N and both were wrong. It seems straightforward so what did I do wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps becuase the question asked for two quantities? It asks for both absolute pressure and total force. Also, I get 81619 N when I run the numbers. Perhaps that may be the issue as well.

Yea, there are two slots in my Webassign, I am looking for the force first and then absolute pressure. Sorry I should have clarified that.

you got 81619? I keep getting 81536..am I missing a number??

Well, I noticed I used 9.81 for g in stead on just 9.8...

Webassign sometimes gives problems with sig figs. Try to be as accurate as possible with constants. Solve the problem with the numbers given in the textbook first. Check with the back of the book. If you get the same answer proceed to webassign using the same number of sig figs for g. Use one additional "sig fig" in all answers.

I just had a very similar problem on my webassignments.
I finally figured it out.
the answer is wrong for total force because you are not taking into account the force of the air on the water. you need to calculate the pressure of the water in the pool then add 1.013 X 10^5 Pa (the pressure of air) to find the absolute pressure and then use that value to find the force. this way you are taking into account the force of the air also and then you will get the total force correct.

1. What is the force on the bottom of a swimming pool?

The force on the bottom of a swimming pool is the weight of the water above it, also known as the hydrostatic force. This force is exerted by the pressure of the water and is directly proportional to the depth of the pool.

2. How is the force on the bottom of a swimming pool calculated?

The force on the bottom of a swimming pool can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the pool, and A is the surface area of the bottom of the pool.

3. Does the shape or size of the pool affect the force on the bottom?

Yes, the shape and size of the pool can affect the force on the bottom. A larger pool will have a greater surface area, resulting in a greater force on the bottom. The shape of the pool can also impact the distribution of the force, with circular or oval pools having more even force distribution compared to rectangular pools.

4. How does the force on the bottom of a swimming pool impact swimmers?

The force on the bottom of a swimming pool can impact swimmers by making it more difficult to move through the water. This is because the force acts in the opposite direction of the swimmer's movement, creating resistance. Additionally, the force can also cause swimmers to become fatigued more quickly.

5. Can the force on the bottom of a swimming pool be changed?

Yes, the force on the bottom of a swimming pool can be changed by altering the depth of the water. The deeper the water, the greater the force, and vice versa. Additionally, the force can also be affected by external factors such as the weight of objects placed on the bottom of the pool.