Force on three Bolts holding up a Jet Engine

• Thread starter mopit_011
  • Start date
mopit_011
Homework Statement:
A 1400-kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off.
Relevant Equations:
F=ma
y=y0+v0t+(at^2/2)
My solution was that there would be a force of 0 Newtons on the bolt as the bolt is not moving. But this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: A 1400-kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off.
Relevant Equations:: F=ma
y=y0+v0t+(at^2/2)

My solution was that there would be a force of 0 Newtons on the bolt as the bolt is not moving. But this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?
I doubt they mean to ask for the net force, though I agree that is a strictly correct interpretation. Rather, they want the tension on each bolt.

mopit_011
I doubt they mean to ask for the net force, though I agree that is a strictly correct interpretation. Rather, they want the tension on each bolt.
Ohhhh ok. Thank you so much!

Suggested for: Force on three Bolts holding up a Jet Engine

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies