Who's Right in Force Problem: Jeep vs Tractor

• Thread starter Zeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the tractor has an acceleration of 7.5 m/s^2, the jeep has an acceleration of 10.7 m/s^2, and the horizontal force of the wheels of the jeep on the ground is 1.40 × 10^4 N.
Zeth
I'm not looking for an answer, I was just wondering who was right:

In a tug-of-war, a jeep of mass 1400 kg and a tractor of mass 2000 kg pull on a horizontal rope in opposite directions. At one instant, the tractor pulls on the rope with a force of 1.50 × 10^4 N, while its wheels push horizontally against the ground with a force of 1.60 × 10^4 N. Calculate the accelerations of the jeep and the tractor, and the horizontal force of the wheels of the jeep on the ground.

Now the way I see it the force is the difference of the force on the wheels of the tractor and the ground, which is 1000N. But the mark scheme says that the acceleration due to that is just the weight of the tractor/1000 but I figure it should be the weight of the tractor plus the weight of the jeep/1000 since the rope is taught. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, anyone?

No, you are not right. You found the net force on the tractor; thus you would apply Newton's 2nd law to the tractor to find its acceleration. You'd use the mass of the tractor alone.

If you had the net force on the entire system of jeep+tractor, then you'd be able to find the acceleration of the system using the total mass.

1. Who is at fault in the Jeep vs Tractor force problem?

The determination of fault in this situation would depend on the specific circumstances and evidence presented. It is not possible to definitively answer who is at fault without more information.

2. What factors contribute to determining fault in this situation?

Some factors that may be considered in determining fault could include speed, road conditions, visibility, driver behavior, and any relevant traffic laws or regulations.

3. Can the force of impact be accurately measured in a Jeep vs Tractor collision?

It is possible to estimate the force of impact in a collision using physics principles and factors such as the mass and velocity of the vehicles involved. However, the exact force may vary based on the specific circumstances and variables involved.

4. How do weather conditions affect the outcome of the Jeep vs Tractor force problem?

Weather conditions such as rain, snow, or fog can impact visibility and road conditions, potentially making it more difficult for drivers to see and react to each other. This could affect the determination of fault in the collision.

5. What are the potential injuries that could occur in a Jeep vs Tractor force problem?

The potential injuries in this situation could range from minor bruises and scrapes to more serious injuries such as broken bones, whiplash, or head trauma. The severity of injuries would depend on the speed and force of impact, as well as the use of safety features like seatbelts and airbags.