Force provided during deceleration?

In summary: To calculate the force, you will need to use the impulse-momentum equation: F x t = m x ∆v. In this case, the force provided by the rockets is equal to the change in momentum of the spacecraft divided by the time it takes for the rockets to fire. In summary, to calculate the force provided by the rockets during the 10 seconds, you will need to use the impulse-momentum equation and take into account the change in momentum due to the burning of 100kg of fuel.
TommyChestnut

Homework Statement

A spacecraft with a mass of 9100kg (incl fuel) traveling at 8 m/s
Rockets fire for 10 seconds burning 100kg of fuel slowing the spacecraft to 0.03 m/s
What is the force the rockets provided during the 10 seconds?

Homework Equations

acceleration = ∆v/t
F = m x a[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 8m/s - 0.03m/s = 7.97m/s
F = 9100kg x 7.97ms / 10s
F = 7.252.7

I just wanted to check the equations I have used for this problem are correct as I am getting confused with changes in momentum F x t = m x v[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
TommyChestnut said:

Homework Statement

A spacecraft with a mass of 9100kg (incl fuel) traveling at 8 m/s
Rockets fire for 10 seconds burning 100kg of fuel slowing the spacecraft to 0.03 m/s
What is the force the rockets provided during the 10 seconds?

Homework Equations

acceleration = ∆v/t
F = m x a[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 8m/s - 0.03m/s = 7.97m/s
F = 9100kg x 7.97ms / 10s
F = 7.252.7

I just wanted to check the equations I have used for this problem are correct as I am getting confused with changes in momentum F x t = m x v[/B]
You have a variable mass situation here, since you are burning fuel to slow the spacecraft .

1. What is the definition of force provided during deceleration?

The force provided during deceleration is the force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How is the force provided during deceleration calculated?

The force provided during deceleration can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the deceleration rate.

3. What factors affect the force provided during deceleration?

The force provided during deceleration is affected by the mass of the object, the deceleration rate, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of force provided during deceleration?

Some examples of force provided during deceleration include a car braking, a person landing after jumping, or a ball bouncing to a stop after being thrown.

5. How does the force provided during deceleration impact safety in vehicles?

The force provided during deceleration is a critical factor in vehicle safety, as it determines how quickly and safely a vehicle can come to a stop. Higher deceleration forces can increase the risk of injury for passengers, which is why car manufacturers focus on improving braking systems to reduce these forces.