1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force/Torque frequency proportional to current frequency

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    Lorentz force equation shows us that current is proportional to the force. Is it safe to assume that the force generated by an AC current at 60Hz will always have the same frequency? In other words, as the current increases and deceases (sinusoidal) the force will follow the same pattern at the same rate.

Would this be true if the current flow had a circular shape or any non-linear shape? The reason I ask is because Maxwell is giving me torque plots of frequencies twice the frequency of the input current. I find this odd.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you are getting some rectification. Can you post some screen shots of your circuit/setup and the output from Maxwell? :smile:

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    I can get some plots, can you explain a little bit more about what you refer to rectification? Papers that talk about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook