Forced landing of a plane - Find the minimum length of the barage

In summary, a 1000 kg plane with a velocity of 50m/s is attempting to make a forced landing on a 2000kg barge at rest on a calm sea. The only frictional force considered is between the plane's wheels and the deck, and it is constant and equal to one-quarter of the plane's weight. To calculate the minimum length of the barge needed for the plane to stop safely, energy conservation can be used. The work done by friction is equal to the kinetic energy of the plane, and this can be used to find the stopping distance and time. If the barge is allowed to move during the landing, the distance can be reduced by the distance the barge moves during the stopping time
Aqua Marine

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg plane is trying to make a forced landing on the deck of a 2000kg barage at rest on the surface of a calm sea. The only frictional force to consider is between the plane's wheels and the deck, and this braking force is constant and equal to one-quater of the plane's weight. What must the minimum length of the barage be, in order that the plane can stop safetly on the deck, if the plane touches down just at the rear end of the deck with a velocity of 50m/s towards the front of the barage?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help. How about trying to fill in numbers 2 and 3 of the above template?

If the barge is allowed to move when the plane touches down - are we to assume it moves without 'friction' through the water ?

i have no clue abt what i have to do :(

i did tried solving the questions and I did it the following way:

Pi=Pf
(Mc x Vc)+(Mc x Vc)= (Mc x Vl) x Vcl
30 000kgm/s /2000 kg = Vcl

15m/s = Vcl

Ei = Ef
kinetic enerygy = mgh
0.5(2000)(15 x 15) = ( 2000 x 9.8 m/s) h
(225000 kgm/s2) / (19600 kgm/s2)
= 11.5 kgm/s2

please let me no if its right or wrong...thank you

To calculate the stopping distance you can use energy conservation.
The stopping is done by friction, and the work done by friction is force*distance.

This work is equivalent to the kinetic energy of the plane when it touches down. Equate the work and energy and you can compute the distance. You can also find the time it takes to stop.

I'm ignoring any movement of the barge. If the barge moves ( and I think it will) then the distance above can be reduced by the amount the barge moves from the touchdown to the plane stopping. This distance is given by 1/2at^2 where a = f/M,
f = mu.m.g and M and m are the masses of the barge and plane and t is the time to stop.

Last edited:

What is a forced landing of a plane?

A forced landing of a plane is when the pilot is unable to continue flying the plane due to a mechanical issue, weather conditions, or other emergency situations. The pilot must then land the plane in a safe and controlled manner to prevent damage or harm to the passengers and crew.

What is the minimum length of a barage?

The minimum length of a barage, also known as a runway, is determined by several factors such as the weight and type of the aircraft, wind conditions, and runway surface. It is calculated by taking into account the required takeoff and landing distances of the aircraft.

How is the minimum length of a barage calculated?

The minimum length of a barage is calculated using a formula that takes into account the aircraft's weight, speed, and other factors. It also considers the runway surface and any obstacles that may be present. This calculation is crucial in ensuring the safety of the aircraft during takeoff and landing.

What happens if a plane does not have enough runway length for a forced landing?

If a plane does not have enough runway length for a forced landing, it may result in a crash or the plane overshooting the runway. This can lead to serious injuries or fatalities for the passengers and crew on board.

Can a pilot land a plane safely with a shorter barage length than the recommended minimum?

It is not recommended for a pilot to land a plane with a shorter barage length than the recommended minimum. This can put the safety of the passengers and crew at risk and may result in damage to the aircraft. Pilots are trained to follow specific procedures and guidelines to ensure a safe landing in emergency situations.