1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced landing of a plane - Find the minimum length of the barage

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1000 kg plane is trying to make a forced landing on the deck of a 2000kg barage at rest on the surface of a calm sea. The only frictional force to consider is between the plane's wheels and the deck, and this braking force is constant and equal to one-quater of the plane's weight. What must the minimum length of the barage be, in order that the plane can stop safetly on the deck, if the plane touches down just at the rear end of the deck with a velocity of 50m/s towards the front of the barage?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to show some work before we can help. How about trying to fill in numbers 2 and 3 of the above template?

4. Apr 30, 2007 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

If the barge is allowed to move when the plane touches down - are we to assume it moves without 'friction' through the water ?

5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    i have no clue abt what i have to do :(

6. Apr 30, 2007 #5
    i did tried solving the questions and I did it the following way:

Pi=Pf
    (Mc x Vc)+(Mc x Vc)= (Mc x Vl) x Vcl
    30 000kgm/s /2000 kg = Vcl

15m/s = Vcl

Ei = Ef
    kinetic enerygy = mgh
    0.5(2000)(15 x 15) = ( 2000 x 9.8 m/s) h
    (225000 kgm/s2) / (19600 kgm/s2)
    = 11.5 kgm/s2

7. Apr 30, 2007 #6
    plz let me no if its right or wrong...thank you

8. Apr 30, 2007 #7

Mentz114

Gold Member

To calculate the stopping distance you can use energy conservation.
    The stopping is done by friction, and the work done by friction is force*distance.

This work is equivalent to the kinetic energy of the plane when it touches down. Equate the work and energy and you can compute the distance. You can also find the time it takes to stop.

I'm ignoring any movement of the barge. If the barge moves ( and I think it will) then the distance above can be reduced by the amount the barge moves from the touchdown to the plane stopping. This distance is given by 1/2at^2 where a = f/M,
    f = mu.m.g and M and m are the masses of the barge and plane and t is the time to stop.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?