1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces acting on pipe submerged in drying cement

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I need to analyse whats going on when a hexagon pipe is submerged in drying cement.

The pipe is hollow with a thickness and is hexagon shape, where the hexagon is pointing up. It is submerged in standard cement, where the top point of the hexagon is about 100mm from the suface.

I understand when the cement is poured in, buoyancy forces act on the pipe pushing it up. Hydrostatic pressure is also acting on the pipe, imncreasing with depth. is there anything else needed to be considered and how would you calculate the forces.

thanks for any feedback

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    Pretty sure there is negligible contratction during the curing process. Also with temperature change, the expansion and contraction coefficients of concrete are very similar to steel, and would not usually present a problem to plastic pipes. I have observed that copper pipes are usually wrapped in foam or fabric - but I think that is due to them often being used to convey hot liquids. If the pipe is tied down to say the steel reinforcment, it will not float upwards during the vibration process when the concrete is being poured.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook