Understanding the Forces Involved in a Basketball Jump

• Thread starter watarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a basketball player and the ground as he is about to jump. The forces include gravity, an applied force pointing upwards, and the normal force exerted by the ground. The conversation also mentions the use of free body diagrams to represent these forces.
watarn
Hi, can anyone give me some help on the following question:

A basketball player is getting ready to jump, what are the forces acting on both the basketball player and the ground as he is jumping but before his feet leaves the ground.

I was also required to draw 2 free body diagrams...

thanks

-edit

well, actually i know that on the player, there's the force of gravity pointing down, and another applied force with a greater magnitude pointing upwards, I am not sure whether's still a normal force.

and on the ground, there's an applied forced by the player acting downwards, is that all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We'll help, but only after you show how you attempted the problem. That is stated in those guidelines that you agreed to, but evidently did not read.

I was also required to draw 2 free body diagrams...

You didnt even try. http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l2c.html is some help with free body diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
ranger said:
You didnt even try. http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l2c.html is some help with free body diagram.

sorry, i wasnt sure about the rules... I've edited my post already
and i just want to make sure whether i got all the forces right before i draw my fbd, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
heres the force of gravity pointing down, and another applied force with a greater magnitude pointing upwards, I am not sure whether's still a normal force.

Well if he is still on the ground, then there is normal force.

Normal Force:perpendicular force that a surface exerts on an object with which it is in contact. For example, if I ress a book in a flat surface, there is Normal force.

watarn said:
and another applied force with a greater magnitude pointing upwards, I am not sure whether's still a normal force.

That applied force with the greater magnitude is the normal force. That's what pushes him off the ground.

and on the ground, there's an applied forced by the player acting downwards, is that all?

Think about it: What does Newton's third law say? It says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You've got a system that includes only the man and the Earth. You've got two forces acting on the man, and only one on the Earth. That can't be all. You're missing one force acting on the Earth.

Tom Mattson said:
That applied force with the greater magnitude is the normal force. That's what pushes him off the ground.
Think about it: What does Newton's third law say? It says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You've got a system that includes only the man and the Earth. You've got two forces acting on the man, and only one on the Earth. That can't be all. You're missing one force acting on the Earth.

so on earth, its the normal force exerted by the player or should i still call it the applied force?
is the force of gravity the one that i missed on the ground?

and one more thing, for the player, i can express it as a particle or a block on the fbd, how should i represent the Earth though?

watarn said:
so on earth, its the normal force exerted by the player or should i still call it the applied force?
and one more thing, for the player, i can express it as a particle or a block on the fbd, how should i represent the Earth though?

Normal force is not exerted on the surface by an object, it is exerted on the object by the surface.

When you make that free body diagram, just represent the baseball player as a block and the ground as a horizontal line. Refer to that link that I gave you earlier.

watarn said:

Yes. The man attracts the Earth with a force that is equal to and opposite of the force with which the Earth attracts the man.

Other than that: Do what ranger said.

FAQ: Understanding the Forces Involved in a Basketball Jump

What is the definition of "forces acting on two objects"?

Forces acting on two objects refer to the interactions between two objects that cause a change in their motion or shape.

What are the types of forces that can act on two objects?

The types of forces that can act on two objects include gravitational force, frictional force, magnetic force, electrical force, and tension force.

How do you calculate the net force acting on two objects?

The net force acting on two objects can be calculated by adding the individual forces acting on each object in the same direction and subtracting the forces acting in opposite directions.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion and how does it relate to forces acting on two objects?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces acting on two objects?

When the net force on two objects is zero, it is considered balanced forces and there is no change in motion. When the net force is not zero, it is considered unbalanced forces and there is a change in motion.

Back