Air Resistance and Terminal Velocity

• Thread starter Hazeel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the height of an object and its velocity when falling through the air. It is understood that a greater height will result in a greater velocity. The equation V2 = 2gh is used to explain this relationship, with V representing velocity, g representing gravitational acceleration, and h representing height. The conversation also touches on the role of air resistance in determining an object's speed when falling from a height. It is noted that air resistance can affect an object's terminal velocity and will vary with height and speed.
Hazeel
We have been given an assignment with the question:

"How does the height of a body falling through the air effect its velocity?"

It's clear that as the height the object is dropped from, the greater the velocity of the object will be. However, I was wondering if anybody could give me any help with some equations/maths that proves this. I realize this is simple stuff, however I can't quite get my head around the thought and think of the equation that would be used.

I would appreciate any equation based help to be of a relatively simple nature as my Physics is not very advanced.

Also, any help with how the below equation can help to prove that height will increase the velocity of a falling object would be appreciated to.

V2 = 2gh

V2 being V squared.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you wrote comes from:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}m v^2 = m g h
[/tex]

This equation represents the fact that potential energy (right hand side) is converted to kinetic energy (left hand side) on falling a distance h through the gravitational field. Cancelling m on both sides and multiplying by 2 gives what you wrote:

[tex]
v^2 = 2 g h
[/tex]

Which expresses the change in speed when falling a distance h.

Ah ok, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Can anyone else provide any other information please?

Hazeel said:
Can anyone else provide any other information please?

Maybe it could be stated a bit more precisely - [tex]v^2 = 2gh[/tex] represents the speed the object has just before it touches the ground, and that very speed depends on the height h from which the object is dropped.

There is no other information, you got the answer to your question in the posts above. If you meant something else, maybe you should rebuild your question. :smile:

Hazeel said:
We have been given an assignment with the question:

"How does the height of a body falling through the air effect its velocity?"

It's clear that as the height the object is dropped from, the greater the velocity of the object will be. However, I was wondering if anybody could give me any help with some equations/maths that proves this. I realize this is simple stuff, however I can't quite get my head around the thought and think of the equation that would be used.

I would appreciate any equation based help to be of a relatively simple nature as my Physics is not very advanced.

Also, any help with how the below equation can help to prove that height will increase the velocity of a falling object would be appreciated to.

V2 = 2gh

V2 being V squared.

Thank you,
I'm not sure what topic you are studying, but it may be that this is a question about air resistance, not energy conservation. Skydivers achieve a terminal velocity when the force of air resistance becomes equal to their weight. Air resistance will vary with height as well as speed. Where do you think the resistance will be greatest? Why?

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to move or change its motion. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravity, friction, applied force, normal force, tension, and spring force. Each of these forces acts on an object in a different way and can have different effects on its motion.

3. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its speed or direction. The overall effect of forces on an object's motion is described by Newton's Laws of Motion.

4. How can we measure forces?

Forces can be measured using a device called a spring scale or by using a force sensor. These devices provide a numerical value for the amount of force being applied to an object.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).