Forces Of Charge In An Electric Field

In summary: Yes, the direction of the force would be South-East if the charge was located at the origin of the field.
Air

Homework Statement

A charge of [tex]8\times 10^{-5}[/tex]C is placed in an electric field [tex](3000\b{i}-600\b{j})[/tex]N/C. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction (relative to the positive direction of the [tex]x[/tex]-axis) of the electrostatic force?

Homework Equations

[tex]F=Eq_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]F=(0.24\b{i}-0.048\b{j}) \implies |F| = 0.245[/tex]N
(b) How is direction determined? I understand it's positive charge thus the field is always pointing away from the charge. By finding angle, [tex]\theta = \tan ^{-1}\left(-0.048/0.240) = -11.3^o[/tex], but what does the force direction actually point in? Away from origin, towards origin? The angle I found, I cannot relate to theory. Can someone explain the direction.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have just to find the direction wrt x axis. And you have found it. There is nothing like towards or away the origin... Away or towards depend upon the position of the charge

You have found the angle with respect to the x-axis as FedEx has said. I also recommend drawing a picture of the electric field, and since the charge is positive, the force will be pointing in the same direction as the field. Just so you can understand the concept and not just see numbers.

It's a positive charge so field will be radially outwards. Is force also in those direction. If that is the case, then it will cancel out as there will be forces in opposite direction. :confused:

No, you don't include the field from the charge since it doesn't feel a force from itself. You only include the electric field that acts on the charge.

nickjer said:
No, you don't include the field from the charge since it doesn't feel a force from itself. You only include the electric field that acts on the charge.

But there isn't a field which acts on it. :confused:

There's only it's electric field.

Yes, that is another way of putting it. I was just discussing the sketch you draw. You don't need to draw the field lines of the point charge since you don't take it into consideration when determining the force on it.

Edit: Did you edit your last post? Because what you said originally was right, but now what you said is wrong. HallsofIvy explains what is wrong below.

Last edited:
Air said:
But there isn't a field which acts on it. :confused:

There's only it's electric field.
No, the problem specifically said "A charge of 8 x 10-15C is placed in an electric field [tex](3000\b{i}-600\b{j})[/tex] N/C". That is the field acting on it.

HallsofIvy said:
No, the problem specifically said "A charge of 8 x 10-15C is placed in an electric field [tex](3000\b{i}-600\b{j})[/tex] N/C". That is the field acting on it.

Oh yes. So the resolved direction would give that the field is South-East?

Related to Forces Of Charge In An Electric Field

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by other electric charges and is represented by electric field lines that indicate the direction and strength of the field.

How do forces of charge in an electric field work?

Forces of charge in an electric field are governed by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract each other.

What is the relationship between electric field and electric force?

The electric field at a point is defined as the force experienced by a unit positive charge placed at that point. This means that the electric field and electric force are directly related, with the electric field providing the direction and strength of the force on a charge.

How do you calculate the magnitude of an electric field?

To calculate the magnitude of an electric field, you can use the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the electric force, and q is the magnitude of the charge experiencing the force. This formula can also be used to calculate the electric force given the electric field and charge.

What are the SI units for electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This means that the electric field is measured in Newtons (force) per Coulomb (charge).