1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a ball in a moving car

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) A 1 kg ball hands from a 1m rope in a car accelerating at 5 m/s^2, Does the ball have an acceleration?if so what are the magnitude and direction of the balls acceleration

b) suppose the ball makes a 10 degree angle witht he vertical. If possible determine the truck's velocity, if possible determine the truck's acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma? lol

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Ok so i assume the ball would have an acceleration but how do i fugre it out? I know gravity acts on it and the tension of the rope acts on it...and i assume if the car is accelerating then the ball will swing backwards and settle in a position where the rope is slanting towards the back side of the car... but how do i actually calculate them? do i break down the forces in the x and y components? would then the y component be gravity straight down or gravity along the angle at which the rope is bent or what?

b) Well i know we cant determine velocity at least, but we should be able to determine the acceleration...but how?

if it makes a 10 degree angle to the vertical...then the force of tension on the rope would be t = mg / cos(10 degrees) (is this right)? I really have no idea how to do either part, can i get a hint of where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a) What is the ball's motion relative to the car?

(Hint: the answer is simpler than you might think.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?