1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forgot my chain rule T.T

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y = 2x / (1+x^2)^2

Find dy/dx

2. Relevant equations
    Chain rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    I completely forgot how to apply the chain rule.. I mean, I can always apply the quotient rule, but I'm sure this is 1000 times easier if you can apply the chain rule. Do you do something like

u = 1+x^2
    du = 2x

so

y = du/u

But I may be getting confused with substitution rule with integration.. it's been a while since I touched calculus.. any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2
    Chain rule goes something like
    dy/dx=dy/du*du/dv*......*df/dx .

It is usually used when you when you have a nested combination of functions, ie functions within functions.

For your question, you need to use both the quotient rule as well as the chain rule ( (1+x^2)^2, which is the funtion 1+x^2 within a squaring function ) .

Can you finish your problem now ?

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    Right.. that's the BRUTE force way to do it.

I was wondering if there was a way to finish this without even applying the quotient rule

5. Feb 17, 2007 #4
    if you dont want to use the quotient rule you can bring the denominator up top so:[tex] y= 2x (1+x^2)^{-2}[/tex] now use the product rule

6. Feb 17, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, just write the expression as 2x(1+x2)-2, and use the product rule on this.

7. Feb 17, 2007 #6
    I guess that's true, but when I saw the relating terms, I was thinking this could be solved by ONLY using chain rule.

I guess it's impossible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?