What's the Formula for FORCE? I'm Stupider Than You Think!

• Thread starter i_zoned_out_in_class
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Formula
In summary, the conversation involves a student who was absent and didn't take notes in class, leading to them asking for the formula for force. The other person explains that there are multiple equations for force depending on the situation and asks for more information about the specific problem the student is trying to solve. They also provide two basic equations for net force that the student may need to use.
i_zoned_out_in_class
Okay, I was totally brain dead during class a couple days ago, and I didn't take notes on anything!

So my question is what is the formula for FORCE??

Yep, I am stupider than you all think!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's sort of like asking What's the formula for speed?

There's no one formula for force. Instead, there are many relationships which involve forces, and each relationship can be represented with many different equations.

Perhaps you should give us a little more information: what sort of problems are you trying to solve? Where are you getting stuck?

- Warren

i_zoned_out_in_class,

chroot is very correct in pointing that out. Force has many different equations depending on what you're trying to find and what you're given, if anything. Here are the basic equations for net force you probably should have written down in class :wink: :

F=ma, where F is net force (in N), m is mass (in kg), and a is acceleration (m/s^2).

w=mg, where w is weight, m is mass, and g is acceleration due to gravity (9.80 m/s^2 or ~32 ft/s^2).

The two equations are the same thing in essence, just depending on what you're being asked for. Let us know if these aren't the ones you needed or need more help.

-z-component

What is the formula for force?

The formula for force is F = ma, where F represents the force in Newtons (N), m represents the mass in kilograms (kg), and a represents the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How do I calculate force?

To calculate force, you can use the formula F = ma. First, determine the mass of the object in kilograms and the acceleration in meters per second squared. Then, multiply the mass by the acceleration to find the force in Newtons.

What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is Newtons (N). It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, a renowned physicist and mathematician who first described the laws of motion.

Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. Negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if a force of 10N is acting to the right, a force of -10N would be acting to the left.

What role does force play in physics?

Force is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects. It is responsible for causing changes in an object's motion and can also cause deformations and create accelerations. Without force, objects would remain at rest or continue to move at a constant speed.