Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula HELP!

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    Okay, I was totally brain dead during class a couple days ago, and I didn't take notes on anything!

So my question is what is the formula for FORCE?!?! :surprised

Yep, I am stupider than you all think!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's sorta like asking What's the formula for speed?

There's no one formula for force. Instead, there are many relationships which involve forces, and each relationship can be represented with many different equations.

Perhaps you should give us a little more information: what sort of problems are you trying to solve? Where are you getting stuck?

- Warren
  4. Nov 15, 2004 #3

chroot is very correct in pointing that out. Force has many different equations depending on what you're trying to find and what you're given, if anything. Here are the basic equations for net force you probably should have written down in class :wink: :

F=ma, where F is net force (in N), m is mass (in kg), and a is acceleration (m/s^2).

w=mg, where w is weight, m is mass, and g is acceleration due to gravity (9.80 m/s^2 or ~32 ft/s^2).

The two equations are the same thing in essence, just depending on what you're being asked for. Let us know if these aren't the ones you needed or need more help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?