Why is life so much more resilient than machines?

In summary: So, when something goes wrong with a machine, it usually means more than one part needs to be fixed or replaced.
DDTG Global
This might sound like a stupid question... Was installing something in my computer last night, gpu was stuck so I pulled with too much force, it just suffered a small chip on the PCB and is now dead. Made me think, humans/animals can lose limbs, organs, even half their brains, and still live mostly normal lives, yet machines stop working at the slightest damage. Why is the case? Is it because the brutal history of evolution assured current life to be highly resilient while machines are specifically made to not endure damage? People living fairly normal lives with most of their brain missing, while computers stop working if you just break one transistor inside the cpu, I find it hard to understand.

Biology news on Phys.org
DDTG Global said:
Made me think, humans/animals can lose limbs, organs, even half their brains, and still live mostly normal lives, yet machines stop working at the slightest damage.
I don't think that's universally true.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, gmax137 and 2 others
DDTG Global said:
why is life so much more resilient than machines?
It's not exactly true, since your examples are not really comparable. But in general, 'life' usually works with a lot of disorganized redundancy while 'machines' are systematically thinned down to get only the desired result with the minimal resources.

But if you want to see a comparable life-like 'machinery', then you can think about the cab-drivers of a big city, for example.

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
DDTG Global said:
yet machines stop working at the slightest damage.
Is the internet a machine?
One part of it can 'go down', yet that doesn't bring the whole system down.

Likes russ_watters
DDTG Global said:
it just suffered a small chip on the PCB and is now dead.
There is a whole area of machine design / technology that deals with Reliability and Redundancy. When I worked for Bell Labs on communication systems, Reliability was a paramount design requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_(engineering)

In engineering, redundancy is the duplication of critical components or functions of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the system, usually in the form of a backup or fail-safe, or to improve actual system performance, such as in the case of GNSS receivers, or multi-threaded computer processing.

In many safety-critical systems, such as fly-by-wire and hydraulic systems in aircraft, some parts of the control system may be triplicated,[1] which is formally termed triple modular redundancy (TMR). An error in one component may then be out-voted by the other two. In a triply redundant system, the system has three sub components, all three of which must fail before the system fails. Since each one rarely fails, and the sub components are expected to fail independently, the probability of all three failing is calculated to be extraordinarily small; often outweighed by other risk factors, such as human error. Redundancy may also be known by the terms "majority voting systems"[2] or "voting logic".[3]

Likes Astronuc
DDTG Global said:
Why is the case? Is it because the brutal history of evolution assured current life to be highly resilient
I think this is the answer. Machines are rarely self-replicating (at least on their own). So resilience is not a necessary trait. Instead, salability is. So human purchasing decisions determine the design, and you end up with fragile products built to a price point.

berkeman said:
There is a whole area of machine design / technology that deals with Reliability and Redundancy. When I worked for Bell Labs on communication systems, Reliability was a paramount design requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_(engineering)
You are right about Bell Labs. Back in the 1950s my father wanted a new model phone but he was told they wouldn't change phones unless it was broken. He said thank you and hung up and started throwing the phone onto a concrete floor. It took about ten tries at maximum impact for it to finally quit functioning. I would definitely say it was quite resistant to damage.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Living things are comprised of cells which (mostly) have some self-repair ability, and if they are not repairable, replacement cells can be grown by reproduction. Machines such as cars don't have this innate ability.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. Why is life able to adapt and survive in extreme environments, while machines cannot?

Life has evolved over millions of years to be incredibly resilient and adaptable. It has the ability to regulate its internal processes and respond to changes in its environment. Machines, on the other hand, are designed for specific purposes and are not able to adapt to new or extreme conditions without human intervention.

2. What makes living organisms more durable than machines?

Living organisms are made up of complex and interconnected systems that work together to maintain life. These systems have redundancies and backup mechanisms that allow them to continue functioning even when faced with damage or stress. Machines, on the other hand, are often built with a single point of failure and are not able to repair or replace damaged parts on their own.

3. How does the ability to reproduce give life an advantage over machines?

One of the key characteristics of life is its ability to reproduce and pass on genetic information. This allows for diversity and adaptation to changing environments. Machines, on the other hand, cannot reproduce and must be constantly repaired or replaced when they break down or become obsolete.

4. What role does self-sustainability play in the resilience of life?

Living organisms have the ability to sustain themselves by obtaining energy and resources from their environment. This allows them to continue functioning even in the absence of external support. Machines, on the other hand, rely on external sources of energy and maintenance to continue operating.

5. How does the complexity of life contribute to its resilience?

Life is incredibly complex, with countless interactions and processes happening simultaneously. This complexity allows for adaptability and redundancy, making it difficult for external factors to completely disrupt or destroy an organism. Machines, on the other hand, are often designed with a specific purpose and are not as complex or adaptable as living organisms.