Formula to Cool Water with Air

In summary: If you know the required power you can simply multiply the desired airflow by the specific heat of air and desired delta-T... then add a safety factor.Sorry about that. I'll answer your questions in order...1. The water is flowing through the pipe, but the velocity is not determined yet. I can make it as fast or slow as I want so long as I can dispense 8oz of water in 2 minutes which is what I need to cool (sorry for leaving that important fact out).2. The pipe is 3/8" diameter and right now it's in an aluminum box that's 5"x6"x1.5". I can have copper tubing leading into it as well
Vig16
I was asked to determine how much Air is needed to cool a copper tube. The air will be blowing on the outside surface of the tube as there will be water running through the tube.

The starting temperature of the water will be 70°C and the goal end temperature is 35°C...all done in less than 2 minutes. I already know that it will take ~250 W to do this; however, how would I determine the amount of air needed? Am I looking for the velocity of the air to cool it? If so, what equation should I use to solve for this?

I won't be able to have room temperature water available to cool the solution, neither will I be able to use ice. This needs to be repeated on command, so I'll need a fan that will kick on to cool the piping as the 70°C starts flowing through.

As you can see I'm quite rusty on my heat transfer and thermodynamics. It doesn't help that I can't find my textbook from when I was in school either!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A few questions:
  • Is the water flowing through the pipe or is it being stagnantly held in place? If it's flowing, at what velocity?
  • What's the length and diameter of the pipe?
  • What temperature is the ambient air at?

If you know the required power you can simply multiply the desired airflow by the specific heat of air and desired delta-T... then add a safety factor.

Sorry about that. I'll answer your questions in order...

1. The water is flowing through the pipe, but the velocity is not determined yet. I can make it as fast or slow as I want so long as I can dispense 8oz of water in 2 minutes which is what I need to cool (sorry for leaving that important fact out).

2. The pipe is 3/8" diameter and right now it's in an aluminum box that's 5"x6"x1.5". I can have copper tubing leading into it as well though.

3. The ambient air is at 22-27 deg C

ddelaiarro said:
A few questions:
  • Is the water flowing through the pipe or is it being stagnantly held in place? If it's flowing, at what velocity?
  • What's the length and diameter of the pipe?
  • What temperature is the ambient air at?

What is the "Formula to Cool Water with Air"?

The "Formula to Cool Water with Air" is a scientific equation that can be used to calculate the rate at which water can be cooled by air, taking into account factors such as the temperature and humidity of the air, the size and shape of the water container, and the initial temperature of the water.

How does the "Formula to Cool Water with Air" work?

The formula uses principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer to calculate the rate at which heat is transferred from the water to the surrounding air. It takes into account the difference in temperature between the water and the air, as well as the air's ability to hold moisture and the surface area and material of the water container.

Can the "Formula to Cool Water with Air" be applied to any type of water?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any type of water, whether it is tap water, distilled water, or saltwater. However, the initial temperature and composition of the water may affect the rate at which it can be cooled.

Is the "Formula to Cool Water with Air" accurate?

The formula is a scientifically proven method for calculating the rate of cooling between water and air. However, it may not account for all variables and external factors that could affect the cooling process in real-life situations.

How can the "Formula to Cool Water with Air" be used in practical applications?

The formula can be used by engineers and scientists to design more efficient cooling systems for water, such as air conditioning units or refrigerators. It can also be used to determine the best way to cool water for various purposes, such as drinking water or industrial processes.