How Can Forum Rules Be Improved for Newcomers?

• Thread starter mikeym
  • Start date
In summary, a new member of the forum expressed frustration with the rules, which required 15 posts before being able to post links. They also had trouble understanding how to contact a mentor and how to write out a URL without using ".". Another member explained that the rule was in place to prevent spam and that posting in the general discussion section does not increase post count. The original poster stated that they had spent a lot of time trying to figure out the rules and that they were a slow typer. Another member apologized for the inconvenience and acknowledged the effort put in by the original poster.
mikeym
Hi,

Sorry about this but I'm finding as a new person to the forum that the rules are quite obstructive. I have a serious post to make about the physics involved in climbing and I would like to post a couple of diagrams to make my point clear.

Now I can't post images directly apparently and it seems I'm also not allowed to post a link to them until I've made 15 posts. I thought I'd get this out of the way by making a junk thread and requesting people just to ignore it but that got closed.

Is all this really necessary?

The first diagram I'm trying to link to is the combination of these 2 addresses:

getoutofglasgow .com/mikey/fallfactor.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In the meantime it would be nice to be able to make my posts.

Of course you're not allowed to start a junk thread to bump your post count! If you really want to post a link, then feel free to post a broken link and then report your post so that one of the mentors can change it.

Hi mikeym,

The 15 post URL rule was introduced to prevent spam storms and as far as I know, we haven't had one since the rule was introduced.

Note that you can attach an image to a thread by using the paper clip icon when composing. I should mention that all attachments are moderated and need to be approved before they are viewable.

OK, but how do I report it to you?

mikeym said:
Using the report button in the lower left hand corner of each post.

mikeym said:

Hit the red "report" button on the left of your post.

To the OP: this rule was set up rather recently, because we had a lot of "one-hit" spammer posts, and most spammers want to post a link to this or that website. Of course, moderators removed them by hand each time, but this automatic thing has been quite effective at demotivating spammers.

Usually, when you are a true member of PF, you reach your 15 posts quite quickly, so this is, for each new member, only a short burden, while it cleans out very efficiently most spammers.

BTW, note that your postcount doesn't increase when you post in general discussion...

I have to admit that I am probably a one poster as I have one very specific question, but I think that my post is perfectly valid, in which case as I said the rules are quite obstructive. (I've spend a couple of hours messing about with something that should have taken a couple of minutes.)

mikeym said:
I have to admit that I am probably a one poster as I have one very specific question, but I think that my post is perfectly valid, in which case as I said the rules are quite obstructive. (I've spend a couple of hours messing about with something that should have taken a couple of minutes.)

I'm sorry it took you so long and I can imagine it is frustrating for you, but this is in place to maintain the quality of the forum. I'm sure that is something you can appreciate more than mere convenience.

mikeym said:
Mikey, how long does it take to type www dot mystuf dot com? Also, if you weren't sure how to contact a mentor, or how to write out a URL without the "."'s you could have just asked in your post. :smile:

Time to type the original + Time to try my way of getting 15 posts + Time to work out why I'd been locked out of that post + Time to post a new thread complaining about it + Time to work out what was and was not counted as a web address (apparently and thing with www[dot]anthing is enough) + Time to wait for a reply + a few more posts and replies + Time to retype my post because I'd lost the original by this point + Time to report my post so that it could be fixed.

And yes I'm a very slow typer :)

I'm sorry you wasted your time with this, mikey. You'll soon have posts so this won't happen again :smile:

mikeym said:
Time to type the original + Time to try my way of getting 15 posts + Time to work out why I'd been locked out of that post + Time to post a new thread complaining about it + Time to work out what was and was not counted as a web address (apparently and thing with www[dot]anthing is enough) + Time to wait for a reply + a few more posts and replies + Time to retype my post because I'd lost the original by this point + Time to report my post so that it could be fixed.

And yes I'm a very slow typer :)
Oh no, that *is* a lot of work. Hopefully it will turn out to be worth the effort! Sorry you had to go through so much.

1. What are the consequences of not following the forum rules?

Not following the forum rules can result in warnings, temporary bans, or even permanent bans from the forum. It can also lead to a negative reputation and potential removal from the community.

2. Can I suggest changes to the forum rules?

Yes, most forums have a designated thread or section where users can suggest changes to the forum rules. However, it is ultimately up to the moderators and administrators to decide if the suggested changes will be implemented.

3. Are there specific guidelines for posting content on the forum?

Yes, forum rules typically include guidelines for posting content such as avoiding spam, using appropriate language, and respecting other members. Make sure to read and follow these guidelines to avoid any issues.

4. What should I do if I see someone breaking the forum rules?

If you see someone breaking the forum rules, you can report their behavior to the moderators or administrators. They will then review the situation and take appropriate action if necessary.

5. How can I stay updated on any changes to the forum rules?

Most forums have a designated "Announcements" section where moderators and administrators will post updates or changes to the forum rules. You can also regularly check the forum rules page to stay informed.