What is the four-vector momentum of the fused particle X in the lab frame?

• Thread starter DanAbnormal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the electron and positron collide head-on and form a particle labelled X with a mass of 150 GeV/c.
DanAbnormal

Homework Statement

Hey, here's a question I am not too sure about.

An electron and a positron travel on opposite directions along the z-axis (with the electron traveling in the +z direction) and collide head-on. Their energies are Ee and Ep respectively, and they both have mass m.

a) Write down their four vector momenta in the lab frame in terms of Ee, Ep and m.

The electron and positron fuse briefly to form a single particle, labelled X. For the case when Ee = 50 GeV, Ep = 100 GeV and m is negligible, calculate the four-vector momentum of X i the lab frame, and its rest mass.

Homework Equations

E = Mc^2

M = relitivistic mass

M = m.gamma

m = rest mass

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have done, but I do not know if its right.
Well for the four vector momenta of Ee and Ep I have, respectively:

mc
Ee/c

and

-mc
Ep/c

Which, with Ee = 50 GeV and Ep = 100 GeV, makes the four vector momentum of particle X:

150 GeV/c

Using E = Mc^2 the relitivistic mass is 8 x 10^-25 kg.

With the M = m.gamma equation I get stuck, because according to their four vector momenta, their speeds are c, which would make gamma zero.
Unless the four vector momentum of Ee (and Ep as negative) should be this instead:

mv
Ee/c

Im not sure, could you point me in the right direction please?
Thanks
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,,,
It's better to use always the rest mass and the equation [tex]m^2=E^2-|\vec{p}|^2[/tex] (the norm of the four vector momenta).
In your case the 4-vectors are [tex]P_e=(E_e,\sqrt{(E_e^2-m^2)}\hat{z})[/tex] and [tex]P_p=(E_p,-\sqrt{(E_p^2-m^2)}\hat{z})[/tex].
[tex]P_X=P_p+P_e=(E_e+E_p,(E_e-E_p)\hat{z}) [/tex] where I have negletted the mass. [tex]M_X^2=(E_e+E_p)^2-(E_e-E_p)^2[/tex]
The norm of the 2 momentums are not equal... You are in the lab frame not in the centre of mass...

Final said:
Hi,,,
It's better to use always the rest mass and the equation [tex]m^2=E^2-|\vec{p}|^2[/tex] (the norm of the four vector momenta).
In your case the 4-vectors are [tex]P_e=(E_e,\sqrt{(E_e^2-m^2)}\hat{z})[/tex] and [tex]P_p=(E_p,-\sqrt{(E_p^2-m^2)}\hat{z})[/tex].
[tex]P_X=P_p+P_e=(E_e+E_p,(E_e-E_p)\hat{z}) [/tex] where I have negletted the mass. [tex]M_X^2=(E_e+E_p)^2-(E_e-E_p)^2[/tex]
The norm of the 2 momentums are not equal... You are in the lab frame not in the centre of mass...

Sorry, I am not too sure what most of that means, could you explain?

1. What is a four-vector momentum problem?

A four-vector momentum problem is a type of physics problem that involves the use of four-vectors to describe the momentum of a particle or system. Four-vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction in four-dimensional spacetime.

2. How do you solve a four-vector momentum problem?

To solve a four-vector momentum problem, you need to first identify the four-vectors involved in the problem, such as the four-momentum of a particle or the four-force acting on a system. Then, you can use mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and dot products, to manipulate the four-vectors and solve for the unknown quantities.

3. What is the significance of four-vectors in momentum problems?

Four-vectors are important in momentum problems because they allow us to describe the momentum of a particle or system in a way that is consistent with the principles of special relativity. By using four-vectors, we can account for the effects of time and space dilation on momentum, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. What are some real-world applications of four-vector momentum problems?

Four-vector momentum problems have many applications in modern physics, including in particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. For example, they are used to study the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, the motion of objects in gravitational fields, and the expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to using four-vectors in momentum problems?

While four-vectors are a powerful tool for solving momentum problems, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only be used for systems that are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. Additionally, they are not always intuitive to work with and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.