Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fourier analysis prob

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This seemingly not-so-harsh math problem has me stumped. I tried solving it every free minute I had this weekend but no trails or any combination of them led me anywhere happy. The little ba$tard goes as follow:

"Consider [itex]f: [-\pi,\pi)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] a function (n-1) times continuously differentiable such that [itex]f^{(n-1)}(x)[/itex] is differentiable and continuous except maybe at a finite number of points. If [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] except maybe at the points of discontinuity, show that the coefficients of the developement of f in a complex fourier serie satisfy

[tex]|c_r|\leq M/r^n, \ \forall r \neq 0[/itex]

Edit: [itex]|f^{(n-1)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] --> [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, with that factor of [itex]r^n[/itex] it sure smells like an integration by parts is involved.

Carl

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the reply CarlB, I didn't see it that way. I'll try to see what I can do with integration by parts...

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integration by parts it was! :biggrin:

Whenever you need a hug CarlB, I,m here for you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook