Unraveling the Mystery: Solving a Tricky Fourier Analysis Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a function that is continuously differentiable except at a finite number of points. The problem states that if the absolute value of the nth derivative of the function is less than or equal to a constant M, then the coefficients of the complex Fourier series of the function must also be bounded by M divided by r^n. The participants discuss the use of integration by parts to solve the problem.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This seemingly not-so-harsh math problem has me stumped. I tried solving it every free minute I had this weekend but no trails or any combination of them led me anywhere happy. The little ba$tard goes as follow:

"Consider [itex]f: [-\pi,\pi)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] a function (n-1) times continuously differentiable such that [itex]f^{(n-1)}(x)[/itex] is differentiable and continuous except maybe at a finite number of points. If [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] except maybe at the points of discontinuity, show that the coefficients of the development of f in a complex Fourier serie satisfy

[tex]|c_r|\leq M/r^n, \ \forall r \neq 0[/itex]

Edit: [itex]|f^{(n-1)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] --> [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, with that factor of [itex]r^n[/itex] it sure smells like an integration by parts is involved.

Carl

Thanks for the reply CarlB, I didn't see it that way. I'll try to see what I can do with integration by parts...

Integration by parts it was! :biggrin:

Whenever you need a hug CarlB, I,m here for you.

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into simpler sine and cosine waves. It is used to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal.

2. What is the purpose of Fourier analysis?

The purpose of Fourier analysis is to break down a signal into its individual frequency components, allowing for a better understanding of the underlying patterns and behaviors of the signal.

3. How is Fourier analysis used in science?

Fourier analysis is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, mathematics, and signal processing. It is often used to analyze time-varying signals, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and images.

4. What are some applications of Fourier analysis?

Some common applications of Fourier analysis include signal filtering, image compression, and spectral analysis. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and geology to study and interpret data.

5. Are there any limitations to Fourier analysis?

While Fourier analysis is a powerful tool in signal analysis, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the signal is periodic, which may not always be the case. It also cannot accurately analyze signals with sudden, sharp changes or discontinuities.