1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier analysis prob

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This seemingly not-so-harsh math problem has me stumped. I tried solving it every free minute I had this weekend but no trails or any combination of them led me anywhere happy. The little ba$tard goes as follow:

"Consider [itex]f: [-\pi,\pi)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] a function (n-1) times continuously differentiable such that [itex]f^{(n-1)}(x)[/itex] is differentiable and continuous except maybe at a finite number of points. If [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] except maybe at the points of discontinuity, show that the coefficients of the developement of f in a complex fourier serie satisfy

[tex]|c_r|\leq M/r^n, \ \forall r \neq 0[/itex]

Edit: [itex]|f^{(n-1)}(x)|\leq M[/itex] --> [itex]|f^{(n)}(x)|\leq M[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, with that factor of [itex]r^n[/itex] it sure smells like an integration by parts is involved.

Carl

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the reply CarlB, I didn't see it that way. I'll try to see what I can do with integration by parts...

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integration by parts it was! :biggrin:

Whenever you need a hug CarlB, I,m here for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?