Solving Real Valued Fourier Coefficients

In summary, we have a proof that if ##\overline{\hat{f}(n)}=\hat{f}(-n)##, then ##f## is real valued. This is shown by considering the case where ##f## is not real valued and reaching a contradiction.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Let ##f## be a ##2\pi## periodic function. Let ##\hat{f}(n)## be the Fourier coefficient of ##f## defined by
$$
\hat{f}(n)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}f(x)e^{-inx}dx.
$$
for ##n\in\mathbb{N}##. If ##\overline{\hat{f}(n)}=\hat{f}(-n)## show that ##f## is real valued.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose for contradiction that ##f## is not real valued. Then
$$
\overline{\hat{f}(n)}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\overline{\int_{a}^{b}f(x)\cos nxdx}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\left[\overline{\int_{a}^{b}\Re(f(x)\cos nx)dx+i\int_{a}^{b}\Im(f(x)\cos nx)dx}\right]\\
=\frac{1}{2\pi}\left[\int_{a}^{b}\Re(f(x)\cos nx)dx-i\int_{a}^{b}\Im(f(x)\cos nx)dx\right]
$$
and
$$
\hat{f}(-n)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\left[\int_{a}^{b}\Re(f(x)\cos nx)dx+i\int_{a}^{b}\Im(f(x)\cos nx)dx\right]
$$
so ##\hat{f}(n)\not=\hat{f}(-n)## a contradiction. Can anyone verify my proof for me? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that [itex]f[/itex] is real valued by assumption!

Woops! This was an if and only if problem and I was having trouble with the converse part. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the purpose of solving real-valued Fourier coefficients?

The purpose of solving real-valued Fourier coefficients is to decompose a complex signal into a set of sine and cosine functions, allowing us to analyze and manipulate the signal in a more manageable way. This technique is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

2. How are real-valued Fourier coefficients calculated?

The real-valued Fourier coefficients are calculated using a mathematical formula called the Fourier transform. This involves breaking down the signal into its individual frequency components and determining the amplitude and phase of each component. The coefficients can then be expressed as a linear combination of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the difference between real-valued and complex-valued Fourier coefficients?

Real-valued Fourier coefficients only take into account the real part of a signal, while complex-valued coefficients consider both the real and imaginary parts. Real-valued coefficients are more commonly used in applications where the signal is real, such as in audio and image processing. Complex-valued coefficients are used in more general cases where the signal may have complex components.

4. Can real-valued Fourier coefficients be negative?

Yes, real-valued Fourier coefficients can be negative. The negative sign indicates a 180-degree phase shift in the corresponding sine or cosine function. This is a normal part of the decomposition process and does not affect the overall accuracy of the coefficients.

5. How are real-valued Fourier coefficients used in data compression?

Real-valued Fourier coefficients are used in data compression by removing or approximating the coefficients with smaller values. This reduces the amount of data needed to represent the signal, making it more efficient for storage and transmission. However, care must be taken to ensure that the compressed signal still accurately represents the original signal.