Solve Fourier Coefficients: Find Fn If f[t+T/2]=f(t)

• Thread starter chessmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Fourier series formula and how to show that if f(t) is equal to f(t+T/2), then Fn is zero for odd n. The solution involves using f(t) = f(t+T/2) and calculating the Fourier coefficients. The problem is then solved and the person asks if there is a way to mark the post as solved or answered.
chessmath
Hi
I am dealing with problem that says f(t)=ƩFn.exp(inwt) . f(t)=f(t+T)

show that if f(t)=f[t+T/2) then Fn is zero for odd n?

Attempt:

I wrote formula for Fn=1/T∫f(t).exp(-inwt) and then just replace f(t) by f(t+T). but I do not get anything, I do not know how I should approach this problem.
Any help would be highly appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
chessmath said:
Hi
I am dealing with problem that says f(t)=ƩFn.exp(inwt) . f(t)=f(t+T)

show that if f(t)=f[t+T/2) then Fn is zero for odd n?

Attempt:

I wrote formula for Fn=1/T∫f(t).exp(-inwt) and then just replace f(t) by f(t+T).

Try using f(t) = f(t + T/2).

How?
First change f(t)=f(t+T/2) and then calculate Fourier coefficient?

Problem is solved.Thanks.
is there anyway to mark post as solved or answered.

FAQ: Solve Fourier Coefficients: Find Fn If f[t+T/2]=f(t)

1. What is the purpose of solving for Fourier coefficients?

The purpose of solving for Fourier coefficients is to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function, as well as providing a more compact representation of the function.

2. What is the significance of the variable t in this equation?

The variable t represents time in the periodic function. It is used to determine the period and frequency of the function, which are important factors in finding the Fourier coefficients.

3. How is T/2 related to the period of the function?

T/2 represents half of the period of the function. This is important because it allows for the function to be shifted horizontally, which may be necessary in order to accurately represent it as a sum of sinusoidal functions.

4. What is the process for finding Fourier coefficients?

The process for finding Fourier coefficients involves integrating the function multiplied by a cosine or sine function over one period of the function. This is done for each coefficient, and the resulting integrals are solved for the coefficients using trigonometric identities.

5. How do the Fourier coefficients impact the function?

The Fourier coefficients determine the amplitudes and frequencies of the sinusoidal functions that make up the periodic function. They also affect the smoothness and shape of the function, as well as its ability to accurately represent the original function. In some cases, a finite number of Fourier coefficients may not fully capture the behavior of the function.