Calculating Fourier Integral with a Change of Variable | Homework Help

In summary, the integrals for the Fourier transform of (a+x)^{-1/2} and (a-x)^{-1/2} can be converted into a more manageable form by making the change of variables (a+x) = t and (a-x) = t, respectively. However, care must be taken with the limits of integration when making the substitution. The constant in the result will depend on the value of a, with a positive a resulting in a constant of 1 and a negative a resulting in a constant of -1.
mhill

Homework Statement

calculate the Fourier transform [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{iux} (a+x)^{-1/2} [/tex] and [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{iux} (a-x)^{-1/2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

see statement above

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe that making a change of variable (a+x)=t or (a-x)=t depending of the problem i can convert the initial problem into this one

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{iut} (t)^{-1/2} [/tex]

and using the property of the square root [tex] (-x)^{1/2}=ix^{1/2} [/tex] with "i" the root of -1 then this integral is equal to the real valued integral

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}dt sin(ut) (t)^{-1/2} [/tex] which is for me easier to calculate, my question is if the reasoning made is correct or if i forgot a constant in the results.

also using distribution theory and tables i reachet to the result

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{iux} (x)^{-1/2}=C(-iu)^{-1/2}sgn(u) [/tex] with 'C' a constant relating [tex] \Gamma (-1/2) [/tex] and [tex] -i\pi [/tex] sgn(x) is the sign function that values -1 for negative values and 1 for positive ones.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct. By making the change of variables, you have transformed the integrals into a more manageable form. However, you may need to be careful with the limits of integration when making the substitution. In the first integral, the limits should be from 0 to infinity and in the second integral, the limits should be from -infinity to 0. This is because when you substitute t = a + x, you are essentially shifting the integration limits as well. As for the constant, it will depend on the value of a. If a is positive, then the constant will be 1, but if a is negative, the constant will be -1. This can be seen by plugging in a = 1 into the original integrals and comparing it to the result you obtained using distribution theory. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How do I calculate a Fourier integral with a change of variable?

To calculate a Fourier integral with a change of variable, follow these steps:

• 1. Identify the limits of integration, the function to be transformed, and the new variable.
  • 2. Express the original variable in terms of the new variable.
  • 3. Substitute the new variable and its differential into the integral.
  • 4. Simplify the integral using algebraic manipulation.
  • 5. Apply the appropriate Fourier transform formula to evaluate the integral.

2. What is the purpose of using a change of variable in the Fourier integral?

A change of variable in the Fourier integral allows for easier evaluation of the integral by transforming it into a more manageable form. It also helps to solve integrals that may not be possible to solve using traditional methods.

3. Can any variable be used for a change of variable in the Fourier integral?

No, the choice of the new variable should be carefully considered to simplify the integral. The new variable should also be related to the original variable in a way that makes the integral easier to evaluate.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using a change of variable in the Fourier integral?

One common mistake is to choose a new variable that does not simplify the integral or makes it more complicated. Another mistake is to forget to substitute the new variable and its differential into the integral, resulting in an incorrect solution.

5. Are there any tips for choosing the best change of variable for a Fourier integral?

Some tips for choosing the best change of variable include finding a variable that will eliminate any constants or make the integral symmetric. It is also helpful to choose a variable that will lead to a simpler or more familiar form of the integral.