Fourier Integral of the Schrodinger Equation

In summary: So it should be ## e^{-ik^2t} \tilde u_0(k) ##. But you have the right idea. In summary, the operator ## \partial^2_x ## is to the left of the ## dk ## integral and the only thing that is of importance is the ## e^{-ikx} ## term in the integrand. When the operator is applied to this term, it results in ## -k^2 e^{-ikx} ##. This same effect applies when the operator is in an exponential. By operating on ## u_0(x) ## with ## e^{it \partial^2_x} ##, the result is ## e^{-ik^2t} \tilde u_
Neothilic
TL;DR Summary
So I am confused on the steps to find out how you would get to having the second order differential operator to k^2 in the exponent.
Annotation 2020-08-11 155539.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The operator ## \partial^2_x ## is to the left of the ## dk ## integral. The only thing that is of importance here is the ## e^{-ikx} ## term in the integrand. If the operator were by itself, (not in an exponential), I think you can see you get ##-k^2 e^{-ikx} ## when it operates on this term. The effect of the ## \partial^2_x ## operator is ## -k^2 ##. The same thing applies when the operator is in an exponential.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Charles Link said:
The operator ## \partial^2_x ## is to the left of the ## dk ## integral. The only thing that is of importance here is the ## e^{-ikx} ## term in the integrand. If the operator were by itself, (not in an exponential), I think you can see you get ##-k^2 e^{-ikx} ## when it operates on this term. The effect of the ## \partial^2_x ## operator is ## -k^2 ##. The same thing applies when the operator is in an exponential.

I see how the effect of the ## \partial^2_x ## operator is ## -k^2 ##, but what do you mean The operator ## \partial^2_x ## is to the left of the ## dk ## integral? To show this effect of ## \partial^2_x ## operator, could I apple the operator on ## u_0(x) ##? Then I could then say that the effect of the ## \partial^2_x ## operator is ## -k^2 ##.

Yes, you apply it to ##u_o(x) ##, and ## u_o(x) ## is a Fourier integral in ## dk ##. The only term in the integrand with an ## x ## is ## e^{-ikx} ##.
To clarify, you apply ##e^{it \partial^2_x } ## to ## u_o(x) ##. If you do a Taylor expansion on ##e^{it \partial^2_x } ## , you will get the various powers of ## \partial^2_x ## which result in various powers of ##-k^2 ## as the result. Those then go back up in the exponential and become ## e^{-it k^2} ##.

Last edited:
Could I not just do ## \partial^2_x u_0(x) = - \int e^{-ikx}k^2 \tilde u_0(k) \, dk ##. Then I can say that the derivative produces a pre-factor of ## (-ik) ##. Then replace this pre-factor with the ## \partial^2_x ## in the exponent?

I think you have the basic idea. You need to operate on ## u_o(x) ## with ##e^{it \partial^2_x } ## though, and the result is ## e^{-it k^2} ##.

Charles Link said:
I think you have the basic idea. You need to operate on ## u_o(x) ## with ##e^{it \partial^2_x } ## though, and the result is ## e^{-it k^2} ##.

Oh I see. Like this:
##e^{it \partial^2_x } (u_0(x)) = e^{it \partial^2_x } (\int e^{-ikx} \tilde u_0(k) \, dk) ##
##e^{it \partial^2_x } (u_0(x)) = \int e^{it \partial^2_x }(e^{-ikx}) \tilde u_0(k) \, dk ##
##e^{it \partial^2_x } (u_0(x)) = \int e^{kt \partial_x }(e^{-ikx}) \tilde u_0(k) \, dk ##
##e^{it \partial^2_x } (u_0(x)) = \int e^{-ik^2t}e^{-ikx} \tilde u_0(k) \, dk ##
##e^{it \partial^2_x } (u_0(x)) =e^{-ik^2t} \int e^{-ikx} \tilde u_0(k) \, dk ##
Therefore, I can see the operator ## \partial^2_x ## gives the result of ## -k^2 ##.
Correct?

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Yes. One minor correction though: In the last line, the ## e^{-ik^2t} ## needs to stay inside the integral.

1. What is the Fourier Integral of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Fourier Integral of the Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical representation of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics. It allows for the calculation of the wave function of a quantum system at any given time, given the initial conditions.

2. How is the Fourier Integral related to the Schrodinger Equation?

The Fourier Integral is derived from the time-dependent Schrodinger equation. It is a solution to the equation, allowing for the calculation of the wave function at any given time.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier Integral in quantum mechanics?

The Fourier Integral is an essential tool in quantum mechanics as it allows for the calculation of the wave function, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. It also allows for the prediction of the probabilities of different outcomes of quantum experiments.

4. How is the Fourier Integral calculated?

The Fourier Integral is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the initial wave function and multiplying it by the time-evolution operator. The resulting function is then inverse Fourier transformed to obtain the wave function at any given time.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier Integral in quantum mechanics?

The Fourier Integral has various applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of atomic and molecular systems, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. It is also used in the analysis of quantum phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement.