How do I calculate the Fourier integral with non-zero phase shift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an integral with the use of Bessel functions. The question is whether the result changes when the value of delta is not equal to zero. A suggestion is made to use the substitution u = t + delta, and it is noted that the function in question is periodic with a period of 2pi. Ultimately, the participants express gratitude for the helpful suggestion and acknowledge the usefulness of forums for discussing and solving problems.
arcmed
Hello, I want to calculate the integral

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \exp(i(k t + \cos(t+\delta)))dt[/tex]

where k and [tex]\delta[/tex] are integer and real numbers, respectivily.

I know with [tex]\delta[/tex]=0 the result is given in terms of Bessel functions, but I don't know what to do if [tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex]0.

Any help would be appreciate, thanks in advance.

ACM

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi arcmed ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: δ :wink:)

Hint: substitute u = t + δ. :smile:

Hello tiny-tim, thanks to take time for answer.

I had already considered this substitution, but in that case, the integral limits change from 0 and [tex]2\pi[/tex] to [tex]\delta[/tex] and [tex]\delta+2\pi[/tex], respectivily. So, again, I can't use the fact the original integral with [tex]\delta=0[/tex] can be given in terms of Bessel functions.

ACM

The function

[tex]e^{i \cos \theta + i m \theta[/tex]

is periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Therefore the integral over any period ought to be the same.

Hello Ben, thank you, you are right.
I had never participated in a forum, but now I realize it is an useful tool, sometimes one can forget very obvious things.
Again, thanks to tiny-tim also.
ACM

What is the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex function into its individual frequency components. It allows us to represent a function as a sum of simple sinusoidal functions, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

How is the Fourier integral related to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier integral is the continuous version of the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform is used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Fourier integral is used to transform a continuous function into its frequency components.

What is the difference between the Fourier integral and the Fourier series?

The Fourier integral is used to decompose a continuous function into its frequency components, while the Fourier series is used for periodic functions. The Fourier series only represents the function at specific points, while the Fourier integral represents the entire function.

What is the significance of the Fourier integral in science and engineering?

The Fourier integral has many applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It is also used in solving differential equations and analyzing the behavior of physical systems.

Are there any limitations to the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral assumes that the function being analyzed is continuous and has a finite integral. It also has difficulty with functions that have sharp discontinuities or infinite derivatives. Additionally, it cannot be used for functions that are not defined over an infinite interval.