Fourier Series (differentiation)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of sin(t)cos(nt) dt. The original poster has attempted to find a solution by setting u=sin(t), cos(nt), or nt, but has not been successful. They are seeking hints on what to set u equal to and have received suggestions to try integrating by hand for different values of n and to look at trigonometric formulas before attempting substitution.
driedupfish

Homework Statement

sin(t)cos(nt) dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting u=sin(t) or cos(nt) or nt but none seems to work. Can someone give me a hint as what to set u equal to? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to integrate? Over what range?

Pengwuino said:
Are you trying to integrate? Over what range?
The function is as follow:
f(t)= 0, -pi ≤ t ≤ 0
sint, 0 ≤ t ≤ pi

≤ (less than or equal to)

I just don't know what to set u equal to, I am thinking of using integration by substitution.

Can someone give me some hints please?

I would start by trying the first few cases by hand n=0, n=1, n=2, n=3, etc.. and see if a pattern develops, both on result and how to evaluate

look at some trig formulas for angle sums & double angle may help before looking at substitution

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components and analyze its behavior.

2. What is the purpose of differentiating a Fourier series?

Differentiating a Fourier series allows us to find the rate of change or slope of a periodic function at a specific point. This is useful in many applications such as signal processing, image analysis, and differential equations.

3. How do you differentiate a Fourier series?

To differentiate a Fourier series, we first find the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms using integration. Then, we apply the rules of differentiation to each term and combine them to get the final result.

4. What is the relationship between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a continuous version of a Fourier series, where the period of the function approaches infinity. Essentially, a Fourier transform is the limit of a Fourier series as the period increases. They both use the same principles of breaking down a function into simpler components, but a Fourier transform is more versatile and can be applied to non-periodic functions as well.

5. What are the applications of Fourier series differentiation?

Fourier series differentiation has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, in image analysis to enhance images, and in solving differential equations to model and simulate physical systems.