Prove Fourier Series Limit: Integral of Ln(x) Sin(nx)

In summary, the conversation is about using an identity to show that the limit of a given integral approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. The identity involves using the Fourier coefficients and the function f, as well as the functions rho and phi. The person is unsure how to relate this to the problem at hand and is asking for help in solving it.
stunner5000pt
Show that
[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \int_{0}^{\pi} Ln(x) Sin(nx) dx [/tex]

i was told to use this identity
given that [itex] int f^2 \rho dx [/itex] is finite then
[tex] c_{n}^2 \int_{a}^{b} \phi_{n}^2 \rho dx = \frac{(\int_{a}^{b} f \phi_{n} \rho dx)^2}{\int_{a}^{b} \phi_{n}^2 \rho dx} \rightarrow 0 [/tex] and n approaches infinity

here Cn are the Fourier Coefficients

but how do i relate this to the problem i have
would rho = log x and phi^2 = sin nx?
Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help with this question?

how would you go about solving it given the 'stuff' i have shown?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine waves with different amplitudes and frequencies. It is used to approximate a function by breaking it down into simpler, periodic components.

2. How do you prove the limit of a Fourier series?

The limit of a Fourier series can be proven using mathematical techniques such as the Dirichlet test, Abel's theorem, or the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma. These methods involve manipulating the series and using the properties of integrals to show that the limit exists.

3. What is the significance of proving the limit of a Fourier series?

Proving the limit of a Fourier series is important because it ensures that the series is convergent and can be used to accurately approximate the original function. It also allows for the evaluation of the function at any point within its domain using the Fourier coefficients.

4. What is the integral of Ln(x) Sin(nx)?

The integral of Ln(x) Sin(nx) is a function of x and n, given by -Ln(x) Cos(nx) + Sin(nx)/n. This integral is used in the proof of the limit of a Fourier series for Ln(x) Sin(nx).

5. Are there any applications of Fourier series in real-world problems?

Yes, Fourier series have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and manipulate signals, solve differential equations, and model periodic phenomena in various systems.