Fourier Series-Several questions

• Thread starter WannaBe22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if a function f(x) is continuous in R with a period of 2pi and has Fourier coefficients of 0, then f(x) must equal 0. It is also deduced that two different continuous functions in R with a period of 2pi will have different Fourier series. The conversation then moves on to proving the formula for cos(x) in a Fourier sine series and discussing the convergence properties of the series at x=0 and x=pi. Pointwise convergence is shown to occur at x=0, while uniform convergence does not occur at (0,pi). Further guidance is requested on solving the problem.
WannaBe22

Homework Statement

1. Prove that if f(x) is continuous in R with a period of 2pi and hjer Fourier coefficients are 0 then
f(x)=0. Deduce that two different continuous functions in R with a period of 2pi has different Fourier series..

2. Prove by finding the Fourier series at (0,pi) that for every x in (0,pi):
cosx= 8/pi * Sigma [ (n*sin(2nx) ) / (4n^2 - 1) ]. Check if the formula is correct for x=0 and x=pi and explain why the series doesn't uniformly converges at (0,pi). Is it pointwise converge at (0,pi)? Mean converges?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no idea how to solve it...I'm pretty lame at this and have no idea what to do... I'll be glad to receive some detailed guidance...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Fourier factors"? Do you mean Fourier coefficients? For (1) you should know an "error" formula for the error when approximating a Fourier series by a finite partial sum.

For (2) just use the usual integral formula to expand cos(x) in a Fourier sine series. As far as "uniform convergence" is concerned, it should be clear from the fact that cos(0)= 1 while sin(n(0))= 0 for all n. As for pointwise convergence, again look at x= 0.

Yep, I meant Fourier coefficients ...I didn't quite understand the way to solve (1)...

About 2- Very understandable...Tnx

I'll be glad to get some further guidance...

Thanks a lot

Well thanks a lot...I've re-read your answer nd it's completely understandable now...

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of sinusoidal functions. It decomposes a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and process signals, study the behavior of physical systems, and solve differential equations.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series represents a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions, while a Fourier transform represents a non-periodic function as a sum of infinite sinusoidal functions. In other words, a Fourier series is used for periodic signals, whereas a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic signals.

4. How are Fourier series coefficients calculated?

Fourier series coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integration of the function over one period. The coefficients represent the amplitude of each sinusoidal component in the Fourier series representation of the function.

5. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

No, not every function can be represented by a Fourier series. The function must have certain properties, such as being periodic and having a finite number of discontinuities, for its Fourier series representation to exist.