Where did I go wrong in computing Fourier Series for f(x)=x^2 on [-\pi,\pi]?

In summary, the book uses the equation c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x) e^{-inx} dx, where c_0 is the value for the coefficient at the midpoint of the jump discontinuity. If f is continuous at that point, then the Fourier series converges there. However, this doesn't seem to be the case, as the series diverges at both the start and end points. I think I may have forgotten to sum over the negative values of n when calculating c_n.
δοτ

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f(x) = x^2 on [-\pi,\pi][/itex]. Computer the Fourier Coefficients of the 2π-periodic extension of f. Use Dirichlet's Theorem to determine where the Fourier Series of f converges. Use the previous two conclusions to show that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex]

Homework Equations

My book (baby Rudin) uses
[itex]c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x) e^{-inx} dx[/itex]
as the equation for the coefficients of the series.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is the last part, but I'm sure it's rooted in another piece of the puzzle. I've found that
[itex]c_n = \frac{2(-1)^n}{n^2}[/itex]
for n ≠ 0 via Maple and
[itex]c_0 = \frac{\pi^2}{3}[/itex]
by computation.

My book doesn't actually have anything I can see called "Dirichlet's Theorem", but I found a paper that said if f(x) was continuous then the series would converge to that point, otherwise it would converge to the midpoint of the jump discontinuity. Is this right?
If so, then the series ought to converge at every point, even the endpoints, because x^2 is continuous and even. So then we'd have, because [itex]\exp(i n \pi) = (-1)^n[/itex], that'd cancel the (-1)^n in the series and thus given the equation
[itex]\frac{\pi^2}{3} + 2\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \pi^2 = f(\pi)[/itex]
but that doesn't work out too well.Where'd I go wrong?

This is the first of four almost identical problems, but if I can do one I can do them all. Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
δοτ said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f(x) = x^2 on [-\pi,\pi][/itex]. Computer the Fourier Coefficients of the 2π-periodic extension of f. Use Dirichlet's Theorem to determine where the Fourier Series of f converges. Use the previous two conclusions to show that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex]

Homework Equations

My book (baby Rudin) uses
[itex]c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi f(x) e^{-inx} dx[/itex]
as the equation for the coefficients of the series.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is the last part, but I'm sure it's rooted in another piece of the puzzle. I've found that
[itex]c_n = \frac{2(-1)^n}{n^2}[/itex]
for n ≠ 0 via Maple and
[itex]c_0 = \frac{\pi^2}{3}[/itex]
by computation.

My book doesn't actually have anything I can see called "Dirichlet's Theorem", but I found a paper that said if f(x) was continuous then the series would converge to that point, otherwise it would converge to the midpoint of the jump discontinuity. Is this right?
If so, then the series ought to converge at every point, even the endpoints, because x^2 is continuous and even. So then we'd have, because [itex]\exp(i n \pi) = (-1)^n[/itex], that'd cancel the (-1)^n in the series and thus given the equation
[itex]\frac{\pi^2}{3} + 2\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \pi^2 = f(\pi)[/itex]
but that doesn't work out too well.

Where'd I go wrong?

This is the first of four almost identical problems, but if I can do one I can do them all. Thanks for any input.

Check your value for c0. I think it's wrong.

I'm positive it's correct.
[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \left(\frac{\pi^3}{3} - \frac{(-\pi)^3}{3}\right) = \frac{1}{2\pi} * \frac{2\pi^3}{3} = \frac{\pi^2}{3}[/itex]

δοτ said:
I'm positive it's correct.
[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \left(\frac{\pi^3}{3} - \frac{(-\pi)^3}{3}\right) = \frac{1}{2\pi} * \frac{2\pi^3}{3} = \frac{\pi^2}{3}[/itex]

Oh yeah, you are right. Now I'm thinking you forgot to sum over the negative values of n as well. How about that?

Yea, I think that's totally the problem. In the book they kind of glossed over that the negatives disappeared at some point and a coefficient of 2 popped out front. But the negative sums would be the same as the positive sums here because c_n is even.

Thanks for guiding me to my error.

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical method used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It can be used to analyze and approximate any periodic signal or waveform.

2. What are some common issues that arise when working with Fourier Series?

Some common issues include convergence problems, difficulties in finding the correct coefficients, and aliasing errors due to sampling rate limitations.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a Fourier Series?

The convergence of a Fourier Series can be determined by checking if the function is continuous and has a finite number of discontinuities within one period. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of maxima and minima within one period.

4. Is it possible for a Fourier Series to exactly represent a non-periodic function?

No, a Fourier Series can only represent periodic functions. Non-periodic functions may have a Fourier Series approximation, but it will not be an exact representation.

5. Are there any applications of Fourier Series in real-world situations?

Yes, Fourier Series is widely used in signal processing, image and audio compression, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.