Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fourier Transform (Another question):

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I need to find the fourier transform of f(x) which is given by the equation:
    [tex]-\frac{d^2f(x)}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{a^3}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx'exp(-\lambda|x-x'|)f(x')=\frac{b}{a^2}exp(-\lambda|x|)[/tex]

ofcourse Iv'e taken the fourier tarnsform of both sides, but I don't see how to calcualte the fourier tranform of the integral in the above equation, I feel I need to use the definition of dirac's delta function, but don't see how to do this, any ideas, hints?

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    Without doing the fourier transform, it looks to me like you'll need to use the property that [itex]\delta(x'-x)f(x')=f(x)[/itex]. Just note which of x and x' is actually a variable for integration and which is the "constant" inside the integration. Use Parseval's Theorem.

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I'm not sure it's correct I got that the F.T of the integral without the constant 1/a^3 is:
    2pi*f(0)*e^(a-\lambda|x|), is this correct?

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4
    Well actually disregard my previous advice, sorry! Note that the integral is equivalent to [itex]e^{-\lambda |x|} \ast f(x)[/itex] where the operator is convolution. In the frequency domain, this becomes multiplication. Now you simply need to know [itex]e^{-\lambda |x|} \Leftrightarrow \frac{2\lambda}{\lambda^2 + \omega^2} [/itex] which is actually the same answer as you'd arrive by from what I previously said, but in much less time.

6. Mar 8, 2008 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

so using convolution you say, ok I'll try it, thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook