How Do You Calculate the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform Matrix F(hat)?

In summary, a Fourier transform matrix is a square matrix used to convert a signal from its original domain to its frequency domain, allowing for analysis in terms of constituent frequencies. It works by decomposing the input signal into sinusoidal frequencies and has applications in signal processing, image processing, data compression, and communications. It is closely related to Fourier series and can be distinguished from a discrete Fourier transform matrix, which is used for discrete signals and has discrete frequencies.
jmomo

Homework Statement

Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F_13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F = I

Homework Equations

The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that e = 4, so (F)F(hat) = 4 I, so F(1/4 F(hat)) = I
I calculated that matrix F=
1 1 1 1
1 5 12 8
1 12 8 1
1 8 1 5

My Question: How do I calculate matrix F(hat)? I understand it is the inverse of F, but I am unsure of how to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmomo said:

Homework Statement

Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F_13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Does that mean anything to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F = I

Homework Equations

The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that e = 4, so (F)F(hat) = 4 I, so F(1/4 F(hat)) = I
I calculated that matrix F=
1 1 1 1
1 5 12 8
1 12 8 1
1 8 1 5

My Question: How do I calculate matrix F(hat)? I understand it is the inverse of F, but I am unsure of how to calculate it.

vela said:
Does that mean anything to you? Because it doesn't to me.

This question should have been a continuation of this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=751455

There the OP said he meant ##5^{i\cdot j}## instead of ##5ij##. Dunno why he didn't correct it for this post.

Might as well have continued this in your prior post. Now that you have ##F##, the ##i^{th}## row of ##\hat F## has the form:

$$(1, \omega^{-i}, \omega^{-2i}, ..., \omega^{-(e-1)i})$$

Where ##\omega## is the e'th primitive root of unity. I'm sure you can continue.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform Matrix F(hat)?

1. What is a Fourier transform matrix?

A Fourier transform matrix is a square matrix used to perform a Fourier transform on a vector or signal. It is used to convert a signal from its original domain (e.g. time or space) to its frequency domain, where the signal can be analyzed in terms of its constituent frequencies.

2. How does a Fourier transform matrix work?

A Fourier transform matrix works by taking the input signal and decomposing it into a set of sinusoidal frequencies. Each element in the matrix represents the amplitude and phase of a specific frequency component of the signal. When multiplied by the input signal, the matrix produces a new vector representing the signal in the frequency domain.

3. What are the applications of Fourier transform matrices?

Fourier transform matrices have a wide range of applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, data compression, and communications. They are commonly used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, and are essential in many digital signal processing techniques.

4. How are Fourier transform matrices related to Fourier series?

Fourier transform matrices are closely related to Fourier series, which is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions. The matrix is used to transform a signal from its time domain representation (i.e. Fourier series) to its frequency domain representation, also known as the Fourier transform.

5. What is the difference between a Fourier transform matrix and a discrete Fourier transform matrix?

A Fourier transform matrix is a continuous matrix used to perform a Fourier transform on a continuous signal. On the other hand, a discrete Fourier transform (DFT) matrix is a finite matrix used to compute a discrete Fourier transform on a discrete signal (e.g. sampled data). The elements in a DFT matrix represent discrete frequencies, while those in a Fourier transform matrix represent continuous frequencies.