Fourier Transform of a sinc like equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the rectangular pulse of a given function y(t) using the Fourier transform. The speaker is unsure about how to use the "200" in the function and how to find the height and frequency range of the pulse. They mention using the Fourier theorem to find the rectangle area, but are unsure if it is the whole area or just the center. The other person suggests using the simplified form of y(t) as 200 sinc(200t) but the speaker is too tired to understand and thanks them for their help.
InquiringM1nd
I have been given this [tex]y(t)=\frac{sin(200πt)}{πt} [/tex]

All I want is to find, is how the rectangular pulse will look like if I take the transformation of the above. That "200" kind of confusing me, because it isn't a simple [tex]sinc(t)=\frac{sin(πt)}{πt} [/tex]

I need somehow to find the height of the pulse and frequency range.

If I had Y(f) after the Transformation, could I just use Fourier theorem below

[tex]y(0) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty Y(f)\,\mathrm df [/tex]

to find the rectangle area? But also, I don't understand, at y(0) , it is supposed to be the whole area of the pulse or just the area at the center of the rectangle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm honestly not well versed in Fourier transforms, so I'm afraid I can't quite help you there. But isn't y(t) basically...

[tex]y(t) = \frac{sin(200\pi t)}{\pi t} = 200 \frac{sin(200 \pi t)}{200 \pi t} = 200 sinc(200t)[/tex]

I don't suppose you could utilize that?

Char. Limit said:
I'm honestly not well versed in Fourier transforms, so I'm afraid I can't quite help you there. But isn't y(t) basically...

[tex]y(t) = \frac{sin(200\pi t)}{\pi t} = 200 \frac{sin(200 \pi t)}{200 \pi t} = 200 sinc(200t)[/tex]

I don't suppose you could utilize that?

oh lol, I am tired a lot, I guess -.-

Thanks.

Related to Fourier Transform of a sinc like equation

1. What is the Fourier Transform of a sinc function?

The Fourier Transform of a sinc function is a frequency domain representation of the original sinc function in the time domain. It decomposes the function into its constituent frequencies, showing the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

2. How is the Fourier Transform of a sinc function calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a sinc function is calculated by taking the integral of the function multiplied by a complex exponential, over all values of time. This integral is also known as the Fourier Integral. There are specific mathematical formulas and tables that can be used to solve this integral for different types of sinc functions.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier Transform of a sinc function?

The Fourier Transform of a sinc function is used in signal processing and image processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It is also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics. It has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

4. Can the Fourier Transform of a sinc function be calculated for any type of sinc function?

Yes, the Fourier Transform of a sinc function can be calculated for any type of sinc function as long as it satisfies certain mathematical conditions. These conditions include the function being square-integrable and having a finite number of discontinuities or singularities.

5. Is there a relationship between the Fourier Transform of a sinc function and its inverse transform?

Yes, the Fourier Transform and its inverse are closely related and can be seen as two sides of the same coin. The inverse Fourier Transform of a Fourier Transform will result in the original function, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Fourier Inversion Theorem.