Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice

In summary, The conversation discusses the computation of the Fourier transform of a periodic potential and its relation to the Schrodinger equation. It is shown that the Fourier transform is non-zero for only two values of k, and a method for finding these values is discussed. The conversation also touches on Bloch's theorem and the use of complex exponentials in Fourier expansions.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

by58f4p.png

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started on (i) -- this is where I've gotten so far.

I am asked to compute the Fourier transform of a periodic potential, ##V(x)=\beta \cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})## such that, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^LV(x)e^{-ikx}\,dx$$ and hence show that it is non-zero for only two values of ##k##. I have, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{\beta}{L}\int_0^L\cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})e^{-ikx}\,dx.$$ According to Wolfram, this gives, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{ia\beta e^{-ikL}(-ake^{ikL}+ak\cos(\frac{2\pi L}{a})+2i\pi\sin(\frac{2\pi L}{a}))}{L(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ I am also given that ##L=Na##, ##N\in\mathbb{Z}^+##, such that the expression simplifies to, $$\frac{i\beta e^{-ikL}(-ake^{ikL}+ak)}{N(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ From this we have, $$\tilde{V}(k)=\frac{ia\beta(ke^{-ikNa}-1)}{N(a^2k^2-4\pi^2)}.$$ However, given this, I have no idea how to show that this is not equal to ##0## for only two values of ##k##. I tried setting ##ke^{-ikNa}-1## to ##0##, such that, $$e^{-ikNa}=\frac{1}{k},$$ and solving for ##k##, however, I'm not sure if this is the correct approach.

Also, ##N\gg 1##.

Physics news on Phys.org
write [itex] \cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials and the first part will pop out immediately.

Dr Transport said:
write [itex] \cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})[/itex] in terms of complex exponentials and the first part will pop out immediately.
So for the very first part I have, $$\cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})=\frac{e^{i2\pi x/a}+e^{-i2\pi x/a}}{2}.$$

I'm not sure how this will pull out a term.

When you do the integral, you'll get two values of [itex] k [/itex].

Dr Transport said:
When you do the integral, you'll get two values of [itex] k [/itex].
Okay... so I'll take the integral, $$\frac{\beta}{2L}\int_0^L (e^{i2\pi x/a}+e^{-i2\pi x/a})e^{-ikx}.$$ I get, $$\frac{\beta}{2L}\int_0^Le^{ix(2\pi/a-k)}+e^{-ix(2\pi/a+k)}.$$ This resolves to $$\frac{\beta}{2L}(\frac{2a\sin(L(2\pi/a+k))}{ak+2\pi}).$$ I'm still not sure how I'd manipulate this to pull out two values of ##k##.

Leave it as complex exponentials, the integral is the definition of the Kronecker [itex] \delta_{ij}[/itex]

Likes vbrasic
Dr Transport said:
Leave it as complex exponentials, the integral is the definition of the Kronecker [itex] \delta_{ij}[/itex]
Ah. Alright. So by definition, because we are integrating on the bound, ##[0,L]## we will have the following for the integral, $$\beta(\frac{1}{L}\int_0^L e^{-ix(k-2\pi/a)}\,dx+\frac{1}{L}\int_0^Le^{-ix(k+2\pi/a)}\,dx).$$ This evaluates to ##\beta(\delta_{k,\,2\pi/a}+\delta_{k,\,-2\pi/a})##, such that ##k=\pm \frac{2\pi}{a}##?

For the second part, we are given $$\psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}\Sigma_G\tilde{u_Q}(G)e^{i(Q+G)x}.$$ This is the same as $$e^{iQx}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}\Sigma_G\tilde{u_Q}(G)e^{iGx}.$$ This is exactly, Bloch's theorem, ##\psi(x)=e^{ipx}u(x),## where ##u(x)## is periodic. We can then write the Schrodinger equation as, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(e^{iQx}u(x))+e^{iQx}V(x)u(x)=e^{iQx}Eu(x).$$ This becomes, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(-Q^2u(x)+2iQu'(x)+u''(x))+V(x)u(x)=Eu(x).$$ We rewrite this as, $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}u''(x)-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(2iQ)u'(x)+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}Q^2u(x)=Eu(x).$$ My professor claims that this is equivalent to, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G^2+2GQ+Q^2)\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\Sigma_{G'}V(G-G')\tilde{u_Q}(G')=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)\to\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\Sigma_{G'}V(G-G')\tilde{u_Q}(G')=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ The goal is naturally then to somehow subsitute in the expression we got from part (i) for potential. However, I'm confused on how to do this. I have that ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a}## from translational invariance arguments. Are the ##G'##s simply the values pulled out by the Kronecker delta from part (i)? And if so, how would one find ##\tilde{u_Q}(G)##?

(Sorry, the reason I'm asking is because I'm not too familiar with Fourier expansions. I'm a visiting student at my current university, and never learned Fourier series at my home university.)

Yes, the [itex] G'[/itex]'s are just the [itex] \pm\frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex] from the first part. Your resulting equation should be a set of equations for [itex] \tilde{u}_Q(G)[/itex]

Dr Transport said:
Yes, the [itex] G'[/itex]'s are just the [itex] \pm\frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex] from the first part. Your resulting equation should be a set of equations for [itex] \tilde{u}_Q(G)[/itex]
So we have, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2+\tilde{V}(G-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(G+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ We can subsitute ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a}## into get, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2+\tilde{V}(\frac{2\pi(n-1)}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2\pi(n+1)}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G).$$ But isn't ##\tilde{V}=0## for all values besides ##\pm\frac{2\pi}{a}##?

your missing a factor of [itex] \tilde{u}_Q[/itex] in the first part of your expressions. Yes, [itex] \tilde{V}[/itex] is zero for everything except [itex] \pm \frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex]. you can write this as a matrix then find the eigenvalues for the [itex] \tilde{u}[/itex].

Alright, so then, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(G+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(G)+\frac{\beta}{2}\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\frac{\beta}{2}\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)?$$

[itex] G = \pm\frac{2\pi n}{a}[/itex] gives you two equations...

So for ##G=\frac{2n\pi}{a},## it's, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2n\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(\frac{2n\pi}{a}+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G),$$ and for ##G=-\frac{2n\pi}{a}## it's, $$\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}+Q)^2\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2n\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}-\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(\frac{2\pi}{a})+\tilde{V}(-\frac{2n\pi}{a}+\frac{2\pi}{a})\tilde{u_Q}(-\frac{2\pi}{a})=E\tilde{u_Q}(G)?$$ Sorry, I kind of don't understand why there are two separate values of ##G##; isn't the summation over ##G'##?

I have to sit down and think about it a little more...

Thanks for all the help. Expanding that sum over ##G'## is proving very challenging for me because I'm not sure exactly what I'm summing over...

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function in the time or spatial domain into a function in the frequency or reciprocal space domain.

2. What is a periodic potential in a crystal lattice?

A periodic potential in a crystal lattice is a regular, repeating arrangement of atoms or ions that creates a repeating pattern of potential energy in the crystal. It arises due to the periodic arrangement of atoms in the crystal and plays a crucial role in determining the properties of the material.

3. Why is the Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice important?

The Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of electrons in a crystal. The reciprocal space representation provided by the Fourier transform is often more convenient for studying the electronic properties of crystals than the real space representation.

4. How does the Fourier transform reveal the band structure of a crystal?

The Fourier transform of the periodic potential in a crystal lattice can be used to calculate the electron energy levels, or bands, in a crystal. This is because the Fourier transform maps the periodic potential in real space to reciprocal space, where the bands are more clearly defined. The peaks in the Fourier transform correspond to the allowed energy levels or bands in the crystal.

5. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice?

The Fourier transform of periodic potential in crystal lattice has many applications in the study of materials. It is used in the analysis of electronic and optical properties of crystals, as well as in the design of electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells. It is also used in the study of crystal defects and in understanding the behavior of materials under different external conditions, such as temperature and pressure.