Fourier transform on a loaded string

Therefore, the Fourier transform of the given quantity is \Sigmak Ak* A-k*(2sin(qk/2))^2, which is the desired result. In summary, the given quantity can be Fourier transformed using the definition of the Fourier transform and periodic boundary conditions to arrive at the expression \Sigmak Ak* A-k*(2sin(qk/2))^2.
Mrbluesky323

Homework Statement

Can someone tell me how to Fourier transform this quantity:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (x_(j+1) - x_j)^2

where the sum is from j=1 to N

Homework Equations

Define the Fourier transform as
x_j = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] A_k *exp(-iqkj)
**Where i is sqrt(-1)
**The Sum is from k=0 to (N-1)
**q = (2*pi)/N
**Assume periodic boundary conditions (i.e. x_(N+1) = x_1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]j ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]k Ak* exp(-iqkj) (exp(-iqk) - 1))^2

I'm told the answer one arrives at ought to be:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]k Ak* A-k*(2sin(qk/2))^2
I'm not sure how to get there from where i am.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: We can expand the equation as follows: \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak* exp(-iqkj) (exp(-iqk) - 1))^2 = \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak^2* exp(-2iqkj) - Ak* exp(-iqkj) - Ak* exp(-iqkj) + 1)^2 = \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak^2* exp(-2iqkj) - 2Ak* exp(-iqkj) + 1)^2 Now, since we have periodic boundary conditions, we can rewrite x_(N+1) = x_1 as: exp(-iqk(j+1)) = exp(-iqkj) * exp(-iqk) Substituting this into the equation above gives us: \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak^2* exp(-2iqkj) - 2Ak* exp(-2iqkj) * exp(-iqk) + 1)^2 = \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak^2* exp(-2iqkj) - 2Ak* exp(-iqkj) (exp(-iqk) - 1))^2 Now, we can use the fact that sin(qk/2) = (exp(-iqk) - 1)/2i to rewrite the equation as: \Sigmaj (\Sigmak Ak^2* exp(-2iqkj) - Ak* exp(-iqkj) * (2sin(qk/2))^2)^2 = \Sigmak Ak* A-k*(2sin(qk/2))^2

Related to Fourier transform on a loaded string

1. What is a Fourier transform on a loaded string?

A Fourier transform on a loaded string is a mathematical method used to analyze and decompose a complex wave or signal into simpler sine and cosine waves. This technique is commonly used in physics and engineering to study vibrations and waves in a system, such as a loaded string.

2. How does a Fourier transform on a loaded string work?

A Fourier transform on a loaded string works by breaking down a complex wave into its individual frequency components. This is achieved by using a mathematical formula known as the Fourier transform, which transforms a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. In the case of a loaded string, the resulting frequency components correspond to the different modes of vibration that the string can produce.

3. What are the applications of a Fourier transform on a loaded string?

A Fourier transform on a loaded string has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in analyzing and designing musical instruments, as well as in studying the behavior of strings and other vibrating systems. It can also be applied in signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

4. What are the limitations of a Fourier transform on a loaded string?

One limitation of a Fourier transform on a loaded string is that it assumes the system is linear and has a steady-state response. This means that it may not accurately represent real-world systems that are nonlinear or have transient behavior. Additionally, the results of a Fourier transform may be affected by noise and other sources of error in the data.

5. Can a Fourier transform on a loaded string be used for real-time analysis?

Yes, a Fourier transform on a loaded string can be used for real-time analysis. However, this typically requires specialized hardware and software to perform the calculations quickly enough to keep up with the changing signal. In some cases, simpler methods such as the fast Fourier transform (FFT) may be used to approximate the results in real-time.