Fourier Transform: Decompose Vector Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of a vector function into its curl-free and divergence-free components, as well as taking the Fourier transform of these components. The Fourier transform is given by an integral, and the conversation delves into the process of finding the Fourier transform of the vector function.
LocationX
For some reason I can't post everything at once... gives me a "Database error" so I will post in parts...

A vector function can be decomposed to form a curl free and divergence
free parts:

[tex]\vec{f}(\vec{r})=\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})+\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r'})[/tex]

where

[tex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'}) = - \vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int d^3 r' \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} \right)[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r'}) = \vec{\nabla} \times \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int d^3 r' \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \times \vec{f}(\vev{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} \right)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to take the Fourier transform of [itex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})[/itex] and [itex]\vec{f_{\perp}}(\vec{r})[/itex]I am starting at [itex]\vec{f_{\parallel}}(\vec{r'})[/itex]. We know that the Fourier transform is given by:

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{r}) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3k e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{k}) [/tex]

I'm not exactly sure where to begin. If I just plug and chug , we'd have:

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3r e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} \vec{f}(\vec{r}) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{- i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} - \vec{\nabla} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi} \int \frac{\vec{\nabla'} \cdot \vec{f}(\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} d^3 r' \right) d^3r [/tex]I just do not see a simple way of tacking this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1. What is Fourier Transform?

Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a complex vector function into simpler components, called sinusoids. It helps in analyzing the frequency components of a signal or function.

2. How does Fourier Transform work?

Fourier Transform works by decomposing a vector function into its constituent frequencies through a process of integration over an infinite range. It converts a function in the time domain into its equivalent representation in the frequency domain.

3. What is the difference between Fourier Transform and Fourier Series?

Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals, while Fourier Series is used for periodic signals. Fourier Transform converts a function into a continuous spectrum, while Fourier Series decomposes a function into discrete components.

4. What are the applications of Fourier Transform?

Fourier Transform has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. It is also used in solving differential equations and in understanding the behavior of systems in physics and engineering.

5. Is Fourier Transform reversible?

Yes, Fourier Transform is reversible. It can be used to convert a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain, allowing us to reconstruct the original function. This is known as the Inverse Fourier Transform.