Fourier Transform of Blowing Up Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the Fourier transform of a function that blows up at a certain point, using the example of f(x)=1/x. It is noted that the integral in question does not converge due to the blow up at x=0, but analytical computer programs still produce a result. The idea of ignoring the behavior at x=0 and reconstructing the function from the transform is also brought up. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that this is a complex and subtle question with potential mathematical complexities to consider.
RedX
Does it make sense to take the Fourier transform of a function that blows up at some point? For example the Fourier transform of f(x)=1/x, which blows up at zero?

Doesn't the integral:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{dx}{x} e^{-ikx} [/tex]

not converge because of x=0?

Yet for some reason analytical computer programs give a result despite the blow up.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
P \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{e^{i k x}}{x} \, dx} = i \pi
[/tex]

Dickfore said:
[tex]
[/tex]

Well if the Fourier transform of 1/x exists, it would make the most sense that it's the principal part.

However, can you really ignore what's going on at x=0 like that?

For example, can you reconstruct the function from the transform?

[tex]f(x)=\int \frac{dk}{2 \pi} (i \pi) e^{-ikx}=(i \pi)\delta(x)\neq1/x [/tex]

This is rather a subtle question. The answer probably depends on what you want to do with the FT when you have got it.

The FT is "defined", in the sense that sin(kx)/x is a well behaved integrable function everywhere except at when x = 0, and cos(kx)/x is an odd function so in some sense the integral from -infinity to +infinity must be 0, even though the integrals from -infinity to 0 and 0 to +infinity both diverge.

But as RedX implied, "here be mathematical dragons..." - though this sort of mathematical arm-waving is sometimes useful for discovering correct and useful results, which can be proved by other methods once they are known.

Last edited:
I made a mistake. The Fourier transform of 1/x actually has a sign function in it:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=fourier+1/x

because depending on whether k in the exponential is positive or negative, you have to complete your contour in the upper or lower half respectively of the complex x-plane, i.e.:

[tex]

[/tex] [tex]

P \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{e^{-i k x}}{x} \, dx} = -i \pi

[/tex]So maybe there's a chance that 1/x is the inverse Fourier transform.

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used in signal processing and analysis to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to the frequency domain, where it can be expressed in terms of sine and cosine waves.

What is a Blowing Up Function?

A Blowing Up Function is a mathematical function that rapidly increases in value as its input approaches a certain point. It is characterized by a sharp spike or singularity at this point, and the function is considered to "blow up" at that point.

How is a Fourier Transform used in analyzing a Blowing Up Function?

A Fourier Transform can be used to analyze a Blowing Up Function by breaking it down into its constituent frequencies. The transform can reveal the dominant frequencies present in the function, and how they contribute to the overall behavior of the function. This can provide insights into the nature of the singularity and how it affects the function.

Can a Fourier Transform be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, a Fourier Transform can be applied to any function, including Blowing Up Functions. However, the accuracy and usefulness of the transform may vary depending on the nature of the function and the properties of the singularity. In some cases, alternative methods of analysis may be more appropriate.

What are some real-world applications of Fourier Transform of Blowing Up Functions?

The Fourier Transform of Blowing Up Functions has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. For example, it can be used in signal processing to analyze and filter out unwanted noise in electronic signals. It is also used in image processing to enhance and manipulate images. Additionally, it has applications in solving differential equations and studying the behavior of fluids and other physical systems.