Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction in QM

In summary, the conversation is about the wavefunction and its Fourier transformation. The problem statement gives the piecewise definition of the wavefunction, and the question is how to calculate the integral of the Fourier transformation. The result for the Fourier transformation is given, but it is incorrect. The correct result should be a function of k, not x.
B4cklfip
Homework Statement
Given is the function phi(x) = A_0 for -L≤x≤L and phi(x) = 0 otherwise.
The task is to first sketch phi(x) as function of x. Then to calculate the fourier-transformation and sketch phi(k) as function of kL. Also I have to compare accessible Broads.
Relevant Equations
phi(k)=1/sqrt(2*pi) integral_-inf_inf (dx exp(i*k*x)*phi(x))
Hello Physics Forum,

I am not sure what to to in this task, because the wavefunction is only given as A_0. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in Advance,
B4ckflip

Physics news on Phys.org
It says in your problem statement that [tex]
\phi(x) = \begin{cases} 0 & x < -L \\
A_0 & -L \leq x \leq L \\
0 & x > L\end{cases}.[/tex] So what is [tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx} \phi(x)\,dx?[/tex]

\phi(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ikx} \phi(x)\,dx

is the Fouriertransformation of \phi(x). It changes the dependence of the wavefunction from position x to momentum p.

And how would you do the integral, given that [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is defined piecewise?

Thanks for the hint, I now tried to solve it and got following result:

$$\tilde{\phi}(x) = \begin{cases} 0 & x < -L \\ \frac{A_0}{\sqrt{2pi}k} \cdot 2sin(kL)\ & -L \leq x \leq L \\ 0 & x > L\end{cases}$$

I have integrated from -L to L for the second interval. Is it correct ?
And how can I sketch specially phi(x) ?

B4cklfip said:
Thanks for the hint, I now tried to solve it and got following result:

$$\tilde{\phi}(x) = \begin{cases} 0 & x < -L \\ \frac{A_0}{\sqrt{2pi}k} \cdot 2sin(kL)\ & -L \leq x \leq L \\ 0 & x > L\end{cases}$$

I have integrated from -L to L for the second interval. Is it correct?
No, it's not correct. Note that you integrated with respect to ##x##, so ##x## doesn't appear in the final result once you plug the limits in. ##\tilde{\phi}## is not a function of ##x## but of ##k##.

Related to Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction in QM

1. What is Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction in QM?

The Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction in QM is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to convert a wavefunction from position space to momentum space. It allows us to analyze the behavior of a particle in terms of its position and momentum simultaneously.

2. How is the Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The Fourier transformation allows us to switch between these two variables, and therefore, it reveals the inherent uncertainty in the particle's properties.

3. Why is the Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction important in quantum mechanics?

The Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction is essential in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to analyze the wave nature of particles and their corresponding probabilities in different states.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction?

The Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction has various applications in quantum mechanics, including solving the Schrödinger equation, calculating the probability of a particle's position and momentum, and understanding the wave-particle duality of particles.

5. Is the Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction reversible?

Yes, the Fourier transformation of the Wavefunction is reversible. This means that performing another Fourier transformation on the momentum space wavefunction will convert it back to the original position space wavefunction. This property is crucial in understanding the complementary nature of position and momentum in quantum mechanics.