How to Approach This Challenging Fourier Transform Problem?

• Thread starter asdf12312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary: Your function is zero except on ##(-1,1)##. Just plug in the formulas for ##x(t)## and do the integration.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

pic.png

Homework Equations

here is list of Fourier transforms:
http://uspas.fnal.gov/materials/11ODU/FourierTransformPairs.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

so I know the solution but I don't know how to get it. Here is what I think to do: the ramp function r(t) and the rect pτ(t). I know that r(t) is the integral of step u(t) which is integral of d(t), and I know the transform of u(t)..would that help? I guess I'm not really sure what to do. In the solution they use integral of pτ(t) minus delta function d(t)..not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you haven't really made much of an attempt here. All you've done is throw out some random facts that may or may not have to do with the problem.

You're given a graphical representation of x(t), and you want to find the Fourier transform
$$X(\omega) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty x(t) e^{-i\omega t}\,dt.$$ To evaluate the integral, you're going to need to figure out what to plug in for x(t). Start there.

Last edited:
vela said:
Well, you haven't really made much of an attempt here. All you've done is throw out some random facts that may or may not have to do with the problem.

You're given a graphical representation of x(t), and you want to find the Fourier transform
$$X(\omega) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty x(t) e^{i\omega t}\,dt.$$ To evaluate the integral, you're going to need to figure out what to plug in for x(t). Start there.

I think you r integrand is in error ... the exponential?

Fixed it.

The OP should also be forewarned that there are two versions of the Fourier transform pair.

vela gave one in his post #2. I gave the other in the duplicate post, to wit,
$$X(f) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x(t) e^{-i\omega t}\,dt$$
where ω = 2πf.

I personally prefer mine since the annoying 1/2π factor is absent. In vela's way that fracton has to go in front of the transform but left out in the inverse transform. On the other hand, my way introduces f as the transform parameter while keeping ω in the exponential. Of course, you can get around this by substititing ω = 2πf in the exponential, but I never do. Pretty easy to remember ω = 2πf.

Pick your poison ...

well i could say x(t) is X+1 from -1<x<0 and 1 from 0<x<1 but i don't think that's doable with transforms. I am trying to follow how they got the solution, since x(t) has r(t) and u(t), could use integral ∫ of (u(t) - d(t)). but i think that, since the r(t) is only from -1<x<0 they used the rect function instead of u(t) (which is kinda same thing I guess). so I understand this much:

∫p1(λ+1/2) - d(λ-1) dλ

and transform of rect pτ(t) is τsinc(τω/2pi), transform of d(t-c) is e-jωc.

so they should get something like ∫sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2 - ∫e-jω which would be...

2/jω (sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2) + 1/jω (e-jω ) ?

asdf12312 said:
well i could say x(t) is X+1 from -1<x<0 and 1 from 0<x<1 ?

No you couldn't. Look again at what x(t) is from t = -1 to t=0.
Then use the integral vela or I gave you (depends on how your teach defines the Fourier transform) with suitable limits of integration.

You are making it way too hard. Your function is zero except on ##(-1,1)##. Just plug in the formulas for ##x(t)## and do the integration.

i am getting confused.. why is x(t) not t+1 from t=-1 to t=0 though? I guess the problem is I have no way to find transform of r(t+1), so instead I have to use integral of u(t) (or the rect p(t) which is easier). Is there another way to do it? I am just doing it the way they did it, to get the answer which is:

1/jω [ sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2 - e-jω ]

just trying to figure out how they got that (how they could factor out 1/jω like that).

Last edited:
There is also the integration property: for the left side. the ramp is the integral of a constant from -1 to 0
The right side is the integral of the delta function delta(t) from 0 to +1
etc. There are various possibilities depending on where you want to start.

asdf12312 said:
i am getting confused.. why is x(t) not t+1 from t=-1 to t=0 though?

It is ##t+1## as you said, except you didn't use ##t## as the variable.

asdf12312 said:
i am getting confused.. why is x(t) not t+1 from t=-1 to t=0 though? I guess the problem is I have no way to find transform of r(t+1), so instead I have to use integral of u(t) (or the rect p(t) which is easier). Is there another way to do it? I am just doing it the way they did it, to get the answer which is:

1/jω [ sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2 - e-jω ]

just trying to figure out how they got that (how they could factor out 1/jω like that).

The answer I got is X(ω) = [1 - exp(jω) + jw exp(-jω)]/ω2.

It sounds like they want you to use the transform of the triangle function for -1<t<0 and the rectangle for 0<t<1. I looked at that approach briefly & didn't see much advantage to it. Quite the opposite, actually. But I'm no Fourier expert & there may well be a trick to it that I don't see.

I suppose you could let sinc(ω/2pi) = sin(ω/2pi)/(ω/2pi)
then sin(ω/2pi) = [exp j(ω/2pi) - exp -j(ω/2pi)]/2j

which should eventually give the answer I got (assuming I got it right to begin with).

asdf12312 said:
well i could say x(t) is X+1 from -1<x<0 and 1 from 0<x<1 but i don't think that's doable with transforms. I am trying to follow how they got the solution, since x(t) has r(t) and u(t), could use integral ∫ of (u(t) - d(t)). but i think that, since the r(t) is only from -1<x<0 they used the rect function instead of u(t) (which is kinda same thing I guess). so I understand this much:

∫p1(λ+1/2) - d(λ-1) dλ

and transform of rect pτ(t) is τsinc(τω/2pi), transform of d(t-c) is e-jωc.
I think you're saying that
$$x(t) = \int_{-\infty}^t [p_1(\lambda+1/2)-\delta(\lambda-1)]\,d\lambda,$$ where ##p_1(t)## denotes a rectangular pulse of unit width and centered at the origin. If so, that's fine.

so they should get something like ∫sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2 - ∫e-jω which would be...

2/jω (sinc(ω/2pi)ejω/2) + 1/jω (e-jω ) ?
No, you don't just replace the integrand with its Fourier transform. Use the property in the table you linked to for the transform of
$$\int_{-\infty}^t f(\tau)\,d\tau.$$

rude man said:
The answer I got is X(ω) = [1 - exp(jω) + jw exp(-jω)]/ω2.

I agree with that answer (using your version of the FT integral).

1. What is the Fourier transform problem?

The Fourier transform problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the frequency components of a given function or signal. It is used in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

2. What is the purpose of the Fourier transform?

The purpose of the Fourier transform is to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It allows us to understand the underlying frequencies and patterns in a signal or function.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier transform and the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform converts a time-domain signal into its frequency-domain representation, while the inverse Fourier transform converts a frequency-domain signal back to its time-domain representation. In other words, the Fourier transform shows us the individual frequencies present in a signal, while the inverse Fourier transform reconstructs the original signal using those frequencies.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and the Fast Fourier transform (FFT)?

The Fast Fourier transform (FFT) is an algorithm used to efficiently calculate the Fourier transform of a signal. It is a more efficient version of the traditional Fourier transform, which requires more computational resources. The FFT is commonly used in various applications, such as digital signal processing and data compression.

5. Can the Fourier transform be applied to any type of function or signal?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to any type of function or signal, as long as it satisfies certain mathematical conditions. These conditions include being continuous, bounded, and having a finite number of discontinuities. However, the Fourier transform may not be useful for non-stationary signals, which change over time.