Hockey puck collision energy loss with unknown final velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
sirfinklstin
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



One hockey puck of mass 0.2 kg strikes an identical stationary puck on a frictionless ice rink. If the first puck had a velocity V0 = 3.8 m/s before the collision and V1 = 0.8 m/s after in the same direction, what fraction of the energy was lost?

Homework Equations


Conservation of momentum m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3 + m4v4
Work energy theorem k = (1/2) mv^2 or (mv)^2/2m


The Attempt at a Solution


3.8 + 0 = .8 + 3
(I left out mass because all objects have the same mass.)

I am pretty much stuck because I do not know the final velocity of V2, and if there was energy lost then V2 shouldn't equal 3 m/s.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi sirfinklstin! Welcome to PF! :wink:
sirfinklstin said:
3.8 + 0 = .8 + 3
…
I am pretty much stuck because … if there was energy lost then V2 shouldn't equal 3 m/s.

Why not?? :confused:

What is your energy equation? :smile:
 
u almost solved the problem...
v1= 3.8
v2=0...bcoz stationary given
v3=0.8
and v4 u have to find out...final velocity of other mass...
which u got 3

now jus find difff between initial and final energy
wats d problm??
 
Ok, thanks for the help with that, i thought a loss of energy would mean less than 3 m/s for V4, here is what I have now -

puck 1 before collision
(1/2)(.2)(3.8)^2
1.444

puck 2 before collision
(1/2)(.2)(3.8)^2
0

puck 1 after collision
(1/2)(.2)(.8)^2
.064

puck 2 after collision
(1/2)(.2)(3)^2
.9

loss of energy = .48J

is this correct?
 
looks good! just convert that into a fraction...
 
So, how to calculate fraction of the energy was lost? I'm lost :(