1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraction Simplification

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I simplify the following

[tex]\frac{\sqrt[3]{m^2+m} . \sqrt{1+m^2}}{\sqrt{1+m^2}.\sqrt{1+m^2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the denominator will be [tex]1+m^2[/tex] but I don't know how to simplify the numerator. Can anyone show me how?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    Try writing out the powers as a fraction. That is, let the square roots be ^(1/2) and such. It'll be easier to see as you just add the fractions.

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    It doesn't seem to change much

[tex]\frac{(m^2+m)^{\frac{1}{3}} . (1+m^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{1+m^2}[/tex]

Should we just add the powers, and what about the terms?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. Mar 17, 2010 #4
    What's 1/3 + 1/2?

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how that is applicable in this problem. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are trying to convince us that a1/3b1/2 can somehow be combined.

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think this is about all you can do by way of simplification. The two factors in the numerator have different bases, so can't be combined.

8. Mar 17, 2010 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure the first term is m^2+m not m^3+m? cus then, you could factor out an m and go from there.

Otherwise, I see no way of simplifying this expression other than canceling out one sqrt(1+m^2) from top and bottom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook