How to Simplify a Tricky Fraction?

• Thread starter math2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the problem involves simplifying an expression that includes square roots and powers. After trying different methods, it is determined that the only simplification that can be done is canceling out one sqrt(1+m^2) from the numerator and denominator.
math2010

Homework Statement

How do I simplify the following

[tex]\frac{\sqrt[3]{m^2+m} . \sqrt{1+m^2}}{\sqrt{1+m^2}.\sqrt{1+m^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the denominator will be [tex]1+m^2[/tex] but I don't know how to simplify the numerator. Can anyone show me how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing out the powers as a fraction. That is, let the square roots be ^(1/2) and such. It'll be easier to see as you just add the fractions.

Anonymous217 said:
Try writing out the powers as a fraction. That is, let the square roots be ^(1/2) and such. It'll be easier to see as you just add the fractions.

It doesn't seem to change much

[tex]\frac{(m^2+m)^{\frac{1}{3}} . (1+m^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{1+m^2}[/tex]

Should we just add the powers, and what about the terms?

Last edited:
What's 1/3 + 1/2?

Anonymous217 said:
What's 1/3 + 1/2?
I don't see how that is applicable in this problem. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are trying to convince us that a1/3b1/2 can somehow be combined.

math2010 said:
It doesn't seem to change much

[tex]\frac{(m^2+m)^{\frac{1}{3}} . (1+m^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{1+m^2}[/tex]

Should we just add the powers, and what about the terms?
I think this is about all you can do by way of simplification. The two factors in the numerator have different bases, so can't be combined.

Are you sure the first term is m^2+m not m^3+m? cus then, you could factor out an m and go from there.

Otherwise, I see no way of simplifying this expression other than canceling out one sqrt(1+m^2) from top and bottom.

1. What is fraction simplification?

Fraction simplification is the process of reducing a fraction to its simplest form. This means finding an equivalent fraction with a smaller numerator and denominator that represents the same value as the original fraction.

2. Why is fraction simplification important?

Fraction simplification is important because it helps make fractions easier to work with. It allows us to compare and perform operations on fractions more easily, as well as understand their relative sizes.

3. What are the steps to simplify a fraction?

The steps to simplify a fraction are:1. Identify the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator.2. Divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF.3. Repeat step 2 until the GCF is 1.

4. Can all fractions be simplified?

No, not all fractions can be simplified. Fractions where the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1, also known as prime fractions, cannot be simplified any further.

5. How do I know if a fraction is already simplified?

If a fraction has no common factors other than 1 between the numerator and denominator, it is already in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further.