Fractional Exponential Indice: Working Out and Explanation | Step-by-Step Guide

So this year I'm doing the Introcalculus one :)In summary, the expression given is ([a-2b-3/ 2a3b-4]2 )/ [ab-15]/a-3b2], and the steps to simplify it include moving all factors with negative exponents to the top or bottom, squaring each factor in the first fraction, and cancelling any common factors. The final answer is 4/b^19a^14. The conversation was between a student asking for help and other users providing assistance and checking for mistakes. They also discussed what class they were taking and their previous experience with this type of content.
Sirsh
I have been given a Indice. I've been trying to figure it out for awhile and need some assistance, It'd be great if someone could work it out and show me the steps they did and even explain it.

([a-2b-3/ 2a3b-4]2 )/ [ab-15]/a-3b2])

I've attempted the working out in my book, Its abit hard to put the whole working on here as it's time consuming. I'm down to [4a^2b^2]/[a^-12b]

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression is equal to
[tex]\left[{\frac{a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^3b^{-4}}\right]^2~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}[/tex]

One approach would be to move all the factors with negative exponents from the top to the bottom or from the bottom to the top in each fraction, which would leave you with positive exponents. The idea is that a-n = 1/an. After that, square each factor in the first fraction. Finally, cancel everything that can be cancelled.

Thanks for that :) is this how i do it?

[a-2b-3 / 2a3b-4 ]2 / [a-3b2 / ab-15]

[2a3b4 / a2b3 ]2 / [ab15 / a3b2 ]

[4a6b8 / a4b6 ] = [4a2b2 ]

and [ab15 / a3b2 ] = [a12b13 ]

I am unsure about the second half.

[tex](\frac{a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^{3}b^{-4}})(\frac{a^{-3}b^{2}}{ab^{-15}})[/tex]
First take a look at the left side;

It will give
[tex]\frac{a^{(-2-3)}b^{[-3-(-4)]}}{2}[/tex]
Which is equal to
[tex]\frac{a^{-5}b}{2}[/tex]

Now look at right side;
[tex]a^{(-3-1)}b^{[2-(-15)]}[/tex]
[tex]a^{-4}b^{13}[/tex]

Combine both LHS and RHS;
[tex]\frac{a^{[-5+(-4)]}b^{(1+1)}}{2}[/tex]

I will leave the rest to you, noting that [tex]a^{-9} = \frac{1}{a^{9}}[/tex]

Did you neglect to use the square of the left side? I don't see where you used it.

Sirsh said:
Did you neglect to use the square of the left side? I don't see where you used it.

opps.. missed it.
then i guess you just have to square LHS before combining.

That's okay :) and btw, the LFH is divided by the RHS. sorry for confusion I don't know how to work the script stuff on this site.

[ [tex]\frac{a^-^2b^-^3}{2a^3b^-^4}[/tex] ]2 / [tex]\frac{ab^-^1^5}{a^-3b^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^-^4b^-^6}{4a^6b^-8}[/tex] / [tex]\frac{ab^-^1^5}{a^-^3b^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^(^-^4^-^6^)b^(^-^6^-^(^-^8^)^)}{4}[/tex] / [tex]\frac{a^(^-^1^-^3^)b^(^-^1^5^-^2^)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^-^1^0b^2}{4}[/tex] / [tex]\frac{a^2b^-^1^7}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^(^-^1^0^-^2^)b^(^2^-^(^-^1^7^)}{4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^-^1^2b^1^9}{4}[/tex]

I ended up getting [tex]\frac{4}{a^1^2b^1^9}[/tex]

If you ended up trying it, did you also get that?

Sirsh said:
[tex]\frac{a^-^2b^-^3}{2a^3b^-^4}[/tex] ]2 / [tex]\frac{ab^-^1^5}{a^-3b^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a^(^-^4^-^6^)b^(^-^6^-^(^-^8^)^)}{4}[/tex] / [tex]{a^(^-^1^-^3^)b^(^-^1^5^-^2^)}[/tex]

I see mistakes in the second expression :bugeye:

Could you point them out please, I'm not very good at indices.

[tex]\frac{b^1^9}{4a^1^2}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]\frac{b^1^9}{4a^1^4}[/tex]

So, now the only thing I need to find out is where i lost a 2.

Hi. I'm just a newbie but would like to give it a try.

Look for any mistakes :approve:!

This is what I got after a while working it out:

[tex]
\left[{\frac{a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^3b^{-4}}\right]^2*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
\frac{\left(a^{-2}b^{-3}\right)^2}{\left(2a^3b^{-4}\right)^2}\right]*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
{\frac{a^{-4}b^{-6}}{4a^6b^{-8}}~*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
{\frac{a^{-4-3}b^{-6+2}}{4a^{6+1}b^{-8-15}}

=

{\frac{a^{-7}b^{-4}}{4a^{7}b^{-23}}
=
{\frac{b^{-4+23}}{4a^{7+7}}
=
{\frac{b^{19}}{4a^{14}}
[/tex]

By the way, I wonder what class you're taking, 'cause my Pre-Cal class hasn't had this kind of stuff yet.

CN

Last edited:
Double-posted, sorry! I don't know how to delete doubled posts:confused:.

caocuong93 said:
Hi. I'm just a newbie but would like to give it a try.

Look for any mistakes :approve:!

This is what I got after a while working it out:

[tex]
\left[{\frac{a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^3b^{-4}}\right]^2*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
\frac{\left(a^{-2}b^{-3}\right)^2}{\left(2a^3b^{-4}\right)^2}\right]*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
{\frac{a^{-4}b^{-6}}{4a^6b^{-8}}~*~\frac{a^{-3}b^2}{ab^{-15}}
=
{\frac{a^{-4-3}b^{-6+2}}{4a^{6+1}b^{-8-15}}

=

{\frac{a^{-7}b^{-4}}{4a^{7}b^{-23}}
=
{\frac{b^{-4+23}}{4a^{7+7}}
=
{\frac{b^{19}}{4a^{14}}
[/tex]

By the way, I wonder what class you're taking, 'cause my Pre-Cal class hasn't had this kind of stuff yet.

CN

Nope, no mistakes. I'm in Pre-Calc at the moment too, none of this stuff so far. We worked on this kind of stuff in grade 11 if memory serves me right.

Thanks guys for the help :) I'm from australia and I'm currently doing the Introcalculus course in year 11. I use to do the Calculus one but my study load was to much.

What is a fractional exponential?

A fractional exponential is a mathematical expression where the exponent is a fraction or a decimal, rather than a whole number. It involves raising a number to a power that is not a whole number, such as 2.5 or 1/3.

How is a fractional exponential calculated?

To calculate a fractional exponential, you can use the formula ab/c = c√(ab). This means that you can take the bth power of a number, and then find the cth root of that result.

What is the difference between a fractional exponential and a regular exponential?

The main difference between a fractional exponential and a regular exponential is that a fractional exponential has a fractional or decimal exponent, while a regular exponential has a whole number exponent. This means that the result of a fractional exponential will not be a whole number, but rather a decimal or fraction.

What are some real-world applications of fractional exponential?

Fractional exponential is used in various fields such as physics, finance, and biology. In physics, it is used to model natural phenomena that involve continuous growth or decay, such as radioactive decay. In finance, it is used to calculate compound interest. In biology, it is used to model population growth and decay.

What are the rules for working with fractional exponential?

Some important rules for working with fractional exponential include:

• When multiplying two numbers with fractional exponents, you can add the exponents together.
  • When dividing two numbers with fractional exponents, you can subtract the exponents.
  • When raising a number with a fractional exponent to another power, you can multiply the exponents together.
  • When taking the root of a number with a fractional exponent, you can divide the exponent by the root.