Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free alternatives to symantec goback

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Are there any free/open source alternatives to symantec's GoBack?

GoBack is a software which allows you to switch to a previous point on the hard drive. So if for eg. you accidently delete important data, you can easily revert back to a previous state of the hard disk.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Doesn't Windows XP have restore points? Also, why don't you backup your data?

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    I don't know about Windows XP restore points. Is there anyway to restore the data using them.

My data is already backed up. It's only that I am performing a large download and in case something goes wrong (as it has once already), I want to be able to revert back.

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I have no idea the capabilities of the windows xp restore feature.

What I do on linux is make an image of my partitions using the dd command. The images then get copied to a remote computer on the network. I also sometimes burn them on DVDs.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    XP Restore only recovers system states such as settings and drivers, it does not to my knowledge recover any data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?