Free alternatives to symantec goback

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Symantec's GoBack software and the availability of free/open source alternatives. The participants also mention Windows XP's restore points and data backup methods. It is noted that GoBack can be useful for reverting to previous states in case of data loss during a large download. The conversation also mentions using the dd command on Linux for partition images and data backup methods on XP. However, it is clarified that XP's restore feature only recovers system states and not data.
sid_galt
Are there any free/open source alternatives to symantec's GoBack?

GoBack is a software which allows you to switch to a previous point on the hard drive. So if for eg. you accidently delete important data, you can easily revert back to a previous state of the hard disk.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Doesn't Windows XP have restore points? Also, why don't you backup your data?

I don't know about Windows XP restore points. Is there anyway to restore the data using them.

My data is already backed up. It's only that I am performing a large download and in case something goes wrong (as it has once already), I want to be able to revert back.

I have no idea the capabilities of the windows xp restore feature.

What I do on linux is make an image of my partitions using the dd command. The images then get copied to a remote computer on the network. I also sometimes burn them on DVDs.

XP Restore only recovers system states such as settings and drivers, it does not to my knowledge recover any data.

What is Symantec GoBack?

Symantec GoBack is a software program that allows users to easily restore their computer to a previous state in case of system crashes or other issues. It is no longer supported by Symantec and has been replaced by Norton Ghost.

Why would I need a free alternative to Symantec GoBack?

Some users may prefer to use a free alternative to Symantec GoBack due to cost or personal preference. Additionally, since Symantec GoBack is no longer supported, a free alternative may be necessary for those who still want the ability to restore their computer to a previous state.

What are some free alternatives to Symantec GoBack?

Some popular free alternatives to Symantec GoBack include EaseUS Todo Backup, Macrium Reflect, and Paragon Backup & Recovery. These programs offer similar features and functionality to Symantec GoBack.

How do these free alternatives compare to Symantec GoBack?

While each program may have its own unique features, overall, these free alternatives offer similar functionality to Symantec GoBack. They all allow users to create backups and restore their computer to a previous state in case of system issues.

Are free alternatives to Symantec GoBack safe to use?

As with any software program, it is important to download and use free alternatives to Symantec GoBack from a reputable source. It is also recommended to do some research and read reviews before downloading to ensure the program is safe to use.