Free body diagram for mass on oscillating spring

In summary, the free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring at its midpoint includes only the downward weight force, as there is no spring restoring force at this position. The acceleration at the midpoint is also 0, as the system is in equilibrium.
physics20

Homework Statement

What does the free body diagram look like for a mass on an oscillating spring, when the mass is at its midpoint.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how an oscillating spring FBD is different from one for a non-oscillating spring. I don't know what to include other than an upward directed spring force and a downward directed weight force.

Also, For a mass on spring with a mass m and spring constant k (if the mass was not oscillating the spring would be extended a length L), what is the directions and relative magnitudes of the accelerations at the bottom and at the midpoint?

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF!

Remember that the spring restoring force depends upon the displacement from the equilibrium position. So, if the mass is oscillating, the force will vary depending upon where in the oscillation the mass is. If it is at that midpoint, this IS the spring's equilibrium position. Hence, the displacement from the equilibrium position (x) equals 0. So...is there any spring restoring force acting at that position?

No there isn't. So does that mean that the free body diagram at the midpoint would only have the downward force of the weight of the mass?

And would that also mean that the acceleration of the mass when it is at the midpoint is 0 (because acceleration is also dependent on the displacement)?

Hmmm...well if it's a vertical system, then I guess the definition of "equilibrium position" changes. The midpoint of the oscillation will be the point at which all the forces are balanced (and hence the acceleration is indeed zero). This point will occur not when the spring is completely unextended or uncompressed, but rather when the spring is extended just enough that the restoring force balances the weight. So I was not quite correct above.

Ok that makes sense, except I'm still confused about what forces to include on the free body diagram for the mass when its at the midpoint. Is it just the weight force, or is there a spring force that I also have to account for?

physics20 said:
Ok that makes sense, except I'm still confused about what forces to include on the free body diagram for the mass when its at the midpoint. Is it just the weight force, or is there a spring force that I also have to account for?

I answered this question in my previous post. At the midpoint, the system is in equilibrium, meaning that all forces are balanced. I said that.

What is a free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring?

A free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring is a visual representation of all the forces acting on the mass as it moves back and forth on the spring. It includes the forces of gravity, the spring force, and any other external forces that may be present.

Why is it important to use a free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring?

Using a free body diagram allows us to analyze and understand the motion of the mass on the spring. It helps us to identify the different forces acting on the mass and their directions, which is essential in determining the net force and acceleration of the mass.

How do you draw a free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring?

To draw a free body diagram for a mass on an oscillating spring, start by drawing a dot to represent the mass. Then, draw arrows to represent the forces acting on the mass, making sure to label each force and indicate its direction. Finally, draw a dashed line to represent the spring and label it with the spring constant.

What factors affect the motion of a mass on an oscillating spring?

The motion of a mass on an oscillating spring is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, and the spring constant. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also impact the motion of the mass.

Can a free body diagram be used to calculate the motion of a mass on an oscillating spring?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to calculate the motion of a mass on an oscillating spring. By analyzing the forces acting on the mass and using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), we can determine the acceleration and velocity of the mass at any given point in its oscillation.