Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Classical Physics Lecture Notes

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1

Academic Year 2004-2005

Kip Thorne. 154 W. Bridge Annex X4598. Email: <removed by Doc Al>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2
    thank you very much
  4. Jul 5, 2007 #3
  5. Jul 7, 2007 #4
    that `s interesting but i think , this Course is better because it contains video and note lectures by Professor Lewin ...
  6. Jul 7, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both are great. But which is "better" depends on your level of preparation and what you want to learn.

Lewin's course is an introductory course ["8.01 is a first-semester freshman physics class in Newtonian Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, and Kinetic Gas Theory."].

The Caltech analogue is Physics 1A (see http://www.pma.caltech.edu/physicscourses.html ).

The Thorne course (Physics 136) is more advanced course, with higher mathematical requirements,... including major sections in Statistical Thermodynamics, Plasma Physics, and General Relativity.
  7. Jul 13, 2007 #6
    YES ..that's right [​IMG] , i think so , it depends on our level...
  8. Jul 15, 2007 #7
    Speaking of Prof Lewin, I contacted the MIT OCW folks requesting that their 8.07 Electromagnetism II course be filmed and presented as the sequel to Prof Lewin's great 8.02 Electricity and Magnetism course. He probably wouldn't be the instructor but it would be so very helpful for people like me who are pursuing the self-teaching mode of education. One thing I noticed about the 8.07 course is that they use Griffiths for the textbook which, in my opinion, is an excellent text. Maybe, if you would also like to see them offer a second course in Electromagetism, you could send them a request at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/jsp/feedback.jsp?Referer=

9. Jan 23, 2010 #8

Homework Helper

Here's the corresponding page for CalTech's undergraduate course sites:

Both of these have useful links, but these are no longer maintained or updated; the current page with links to the most recent course offerings is

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?