Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free GNU/Linux CDs

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1

ranger

Gold Member

You can order free Ubuntu CDs here. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, and just got them. Its version 5.04. Comes with a liveCD and an installation disk. Here is a second site. http://www.pogolinux.com/systems/linuxcd.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You should probably note that this offer is only for members of registered Linux User Groups.

4. Sep 2, 2005 #3
    Did Ubuntu recently change their policy? I got about 15 cds from them a while back and I am not a part of a LUG, or any other groups. I don't even remember Ubuntu asking for anything other than my address and an email account.

5. Sep 2, 2005 #4
    Yeah, and I got my Debian Net install cd in about 5 minutes from the web. For Free I might add.

6. Sep 2, 2005 #5

ranger

Gold Member

I'm not part of an LUG, and I got like 10 sets of CDS from ubuntu also.

7. Sep 2, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

All right, I'll believe you guys, but the site said it was only giving away to members of LUGs. Why would they give 10 or 15 copies to individual users? Are you giving them to your friends or something?

8. Sep 3, 2005 #7
    I received 10 also. Ubuntu is really nice (compared to some other "flavors" I have tried).

9. Sep 3, 2005 #8

ranger

Gold Member

Yes I do. Often I get friends peeking over my shoulder and they see this odd looking user interface on my laptop. So when they ask, I usually give them a set of CDs so they can play with.

10. Sep 3, 2005 #9
    Ubuntu recommends that you take more than one. They say that cds are so cheap that you might as well order more, as the real cost is shipping.

11. Sep 4, 2005 #10
    I thought this thread is about diff. versions of linux. You can easily go to www. linuxiso.org and download diff. flavors to try out. If you're a first time linux user I recommend knoppix as it boots from the cd and you won't need to install it.

12. Sep 5, 2005 #11
    My friend had got 8 copies (early July IIRC) of Ubuntu and gave one to me. Its been on for quite some time it seems.

-- AI

13. Sep 17, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I don't know if anyone cares, but v. 5.10 is available at www.linuxiso.org now. The CD will be released early next month, according the Ubuntu site anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?